Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6/Borders Gallipoli, Suvla bay August 1915

rugbyremembers

I am looking for information on 6/Borders at Gallipoli, especailly Suvla Bay August 7-9.

One of my rugby players 2/Lt Nowell Oxland was killed there and I am trying to understand the actions he would have been involved in.

Many thanks

6th (Service) Battalion

Part of 33rd Brigade, 11th (Northern) Division

Sailed from Liverpool on Empress of Britain 1st July 1915. Landed Helles 21st. Provided carrying parties at first, then to front line either side of Achi Baba Nullah. Relieved and to rest camp 30th July. To Imbros 31st.

Embarked for Suvla Bay 6th August. Lieutenant N. Oxland listed as amongst officers present in 'D' Company. Landed 'B' Beach and to Divisional Reserve positions at Lala Baba. Casualties from shelling – 1 killed, 22 wounded. Moved forward via north side of Salt Lake 5.30 pm, 7th Aug. In close support of 6th Lincolnshire took part in attack on Chocolate Hill. Moved from top of Chocolate Hill to reserve positions on beach behind Lala Baba 8th Aug. Casualties – 4 killed, 53 wounded, 3 missing. Moved forward to positions under Chocolate Hill 9th Aug. Advanced for attack on Ismail Oglu Tepe 5.15 am – 'C' and 'D' Companies in front, 'A' and 'B' in reserve. Soon came under fire from Scimitar Hill. Records show that advancing troops (6th Border, 7th Stafordshire, 6th Lincolnshire) had been informed that Scimitar Hill was held by British troops. 'A' and 'B' suffered heavy casualties – all officers except one being killed. Survivors moved forward to firing line. Battalion collected along road near Torgut Cheshme and held position. Roll call at dawn 10th Aug. – 5 officers and 120 other ranks. Casualties included N. Oxland amongst the killed.

Details from Ray Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' pub. by Leo Cooper, 1996, ISBN 0 85052 511 X

The Holts' guide book has him as having attending Durham School and Christ Church, Oxford. He was a promising poet

See post 14 here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=144182&hl= for a couple oh shots of Green Hill cemetery

best regards

Michael

Excellent, and all this before breakfast too!

Many thanks

Stephen

I am getting by on java juice so far!

I note RNVR/ Nelson references - one of my men was a Lt Frank Purser KIA 21/1217 in France, although he sems to have missed Gallipoli.

Not a poet like Oxland, but I have soft sport for him as he was a Rosslyn park player and went to my college, where he has his reugby photo taken in exacty the place I had mine - could not get a full XV out that day! - see website...

best wishes

Stephen

I am interested enough to have read all his poems at the BL.

Did you know that his own title was Farewell, but that the Times changed it to Outward Bound as they felt the original was rather downbeat- there are clear 'intimations of mortality', as another Cumbrian poet might have put it. 'The Thunderer' was not about to print defeatist/pessimistic nonsense!

rgds

Stephen

Stephen,

Purser joined the Nelson Battalion on 12th July 1916 at Camblain-Chatelain, so I think it unlikely he would have been at Gallipoli or on the Aegean islands. He was invalided out as sick at Christmas 1916 and rejoined the Nelsons again about November 1917. He was KiA 27th December 1917 - "sniped and killed while touring the line among his men"

Details from 'Nelson at War 1914-1918' by Capt Roy Swales RN rtd., published by Pen & Sword Select, 2004,

ISBN 1 84468 018 5

best regards

Michael

I am looking for information on 6/Borders at Gallipoli, especailly Suvla Bay August 7-9.

Stephen,

Looking at the 6th Borders War Diary, the only officer casualties mentioned for the 7th and 8th Aug 1915 are 2 wounded; Montmorency & Ross

However on the 9th August, the battalion took part in an attack (see my earlier post) and suffered heavily. Per the War Diary for that day; Officers – 12 Killed, 4 wounded , 1 missing out of 20 officers who started the attack

The CWGC give Oxland's date of death as 9th Aug 1915 and this appears to be correct, though the WD does not mention his name

This map covers the places mentioned, including Torgut Cheshme which is the well shown beneath the 'H' in Scimitar Hill

Oxlandsdeath9Aug15Map.jpg

regards

Michael

I have a book arriving from Borders musuem by Ralph May, all about Borders at gallipoli, so hopefully something there, even if circumstantial about the action and not about Oxland himself. Some post-war correspondence between his College, his father and a 'close friend' gives some detail, although conflicting accounts of his death.

rgds

So many officers became casualties on 9th August that some dates of death were 'educated guesses' For example officers in the sister Battalion 9th Sherwood Foresters listed as dying between 7-11th August 1915. Basically the Division was supposed to land and attack but the Division Commander decided to send the 9th SF to link with the ANZACS and hold a line. In the attacks on 9th and 21st August the SF had every officer except the MO as a casualty. The four Battalions in 33rd Brigade became two until reinforcements arrived.

6th Lincs and 6th Borders - composite Bn and 7th South Staffs and 9th SF.

Prior to Gallipoli they trained at Belton, Grantham, then moved to the Frensham area.

S