Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10 Rifle Brigade

jainvince

One of our soldiers, Rifleman W Ashworth was killed in action on 7th December 1915 and is buried in Rue-Du-Bois Military Cemetery in Fleurbaix. We have two letters describing how he was killed 'instantly' by a shell. I presume he was killed during the 'normal' shelling which took place along the front line trenches even in the 'quieter' periods. One of the letters advises that he was buried in a small cemetry about a mile behind the trenches so we have a fair idea of where his regiment were but does any member have any more details of the location?

Bernard

BP

Are you referring to the cemetery or the front line position when he was killed ?

The Cemetery isn't actually in Fleurbaix,it's 3 kms SW of that place near a village called Laventie.

The position of the Bn can be found in their War Diary WO95/2117.

For interest another soldier (Bruffell) from the Bn died of wounds on the next day,so might have been in the same incident.

Sotonmate

20th (Light) Division's front in the Laventie Sector at this time ran from just E of Picantin to W of Le Bridoux.

Nothing specific recorded in the Divisional History for 10/RB on 07 Dec 1915.

Cheers,

Mark

Map from Divisional History ...

post-20192-1270688988.jpg

HTH

Mark

Bernard,

The 10th RB took over the front line trenches on 4/12/15 at position N.92 to just East of Knightsbridge Avenue, I am sure that someone here can help with an exact map showing those positions, with A & B Companies in the front line. C & D company remained in support with C Company at H.2 and D Company in billets. The Battalion and Brigade war diary record no enemy artillery action for 7th December, but records the Germans active with snipers and machine gun fire, a patrol was out observing the German wire which reported it as very strong. The British artillery shelled the German wire and parapet opposite at N.9.4. from 12.30 to 1.15 pm effectively according to reports.

There was shell-fire recorded for the for the 8th, which resulted in Brufell's (referred to by Sotonmate) death the same day of his wounding and several other men being wounded.

Andy

Thanks for the information. Below is an extract of our information which includes details of how he was KIA.

As yet i am unable to find Knightsbridge Ave on my Trench Maps but have found the other points.

Bernard

Mrs Ashworth 9 Finance Street, Dearnley received information in a letter dated Wednesday 8 December 1915 (received 13 December 1915) that her 25 year old husband, Dearnley born Rifleman S/5579 Willie Ashworth 10th Bn Rifle Brigade had been killed on Tuesday 7 December 1915 by the explosion of a shell. In a letter written by Rev. Basil Churchward (chaplain to the forces) it said "I am very very sorry to have to tell you that your husband was killed by a shell yesterday morning. He died at once, so he would not suffer any pain. I am sorry for you Mrs Ashworth, your husband was a good soldier, and I remember how humorous he was in his conversation. It will be indeed be hard for you, but hard though parting must be, you must feel proud that your husband answered his country's call and gave his life for those he loved. May God give you in this great sorrow His comfort and help. He understands best of all, because He, too, gave His best and dearest, His Only Son, to die for all of us. And because He Died and rose again we know that those who are taken from us still live and love us, and we hope one day to meet them once again, never to be parted. The funeral took place this morning in a little cemetery nearly a mile behind the trenches. The grave is to be marked with a cross and will be well cared for. His personal effects are to be sent to the base, and will then be forwarded to you. May God bless you and yours”. His body interred in Grave Number I. D. 1. Rue-De- Bois Military Cemetery, Fleurbaix, Pas de Calais, France. Rifleman Joe Cryer of the same Bn and who lives at 63 Field Terrace, Gale, wrote the following letter to Mrs Ashworth which she received Tuesday morning 14 December 1915 "I deeply regret to let you know of your loving husband’s death. It was caused by a shell bursting and a piece of it caught him. He had no pain whatsoever. He died very peacefully. I can assure you that you have my very deepest sympathy in your loss. Me and Willie have always been the best of pals, and I shall miss him" He enlisted in Bury on the 9 November 1914 and embarked for France in July 1915, prior to enlisting he had been employed at Messrs Jackson's Hurstead Mill, he was also a member of the Littleborough Brass Band and a member of St Andrew's Bible Guild, his name listed on St Andrew's Memorial Card and their War Memorial as well as on Littleborough Cenotaph Rifleman Ashworth had only been back with his Bn two weeks before his death after being in hospital for a fortnight suffering from influenza.

Sorry to say the closest Trench Map extract I have stops at point N.84 near Bond Street just outside the western end of their frontage :blink:

With luck one of the maps Pals will sort us out eventually!

Cheers,

Mark