Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photograph 2

lizzie10

post-54222-1270643134.jpg Hello again, I have re-submitted my previous photograph,as I felt it was a wee bit small, I do not know how to reproduce the full photograph, but hopefully this may be a little easier to make out. I previously asked if anyone knew where this photograph was taken, the banner says 334 party F Coy. R.E. July 1917. Hope this one works.

Thanks

A bridge Alec Guinness would have been proud of :) but where (other than not too near the front) its difficult to say.

Surely If you got hold of the unit's war diary you'd be able to find out where they were in July 1917? It may be worth contacting the Royal Engineers museum and asking them.

Surely If you got hold of the unit's war diary you'd be able to find out where they were in July 1917? It may be worth contacting the Royal Engineers museum and asking them.

Thanks for that, do you perhaps know where I can get an address or an e-mail address for the museum, or where it is possible to get hold of the units war diary. Your help would be very much appreciated.

A bridge Alec Guinness would have been proud of :) but where (other than not too near the front) its difficult to say.

The hellas-pont perhaps? :lol:

I'll get me coat!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, make sure it's a great coat!... Anyway thanks.

Liz

Just to let you folks know that I have now found out what I requested from this forum, and would like to thank everyone for their interest and help.

I would be interested in you findings Liz. Have you been able to find further info on the pictured training unit? Regards, Paul.

I would be interested in you findings Liz. Have you been able to find further info on the pictured training unit? Regards, Paul.

Hello Wardog,

Unfortunately I haven't had any info on the group photograph at all, I don't know where it was taken. I don't even know if it is a training unit as you say. The other photograph I have, which is of my grandfather, who was in the RND and the RE, has brought more luck. I was on another forum, 'ask away', and I was given from the Archives his war record and such like. It is very interesting and I am so pleased that another piece of family history has been detailed. In the group photograph my grandfather is the one in the front in the middle with his hat askew. If you want to know more let me know and I will be in touch tomorrow, as it is late now, and I unfortunately have work in the morning

thanks

Liz

Hello Liz. I recently bought up the use of the term 'Party' with regards to the REs. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...engineers+party So the picture may well be of troops in training. Regards, Paul.

hi Paul,

I have just logged in to the link above, it's very interesting to say the least. What I have found out about my grandfather is that he was was an O.S.A.B. in 1914. He was in the RND until feb 1917 when he was discharged to the Royal Engineers, he then seems to have been in the Labour Corps Nottingham and was discharged from there in 1921. I was wondering if you are able to explain what the abbreviations below mean:-BEF.D.O.64,71;AFW 3119;AFB/103.I am assuming that they are some kind of forms used by the forces.

He had quite a record, being injured in the Dardanelles, he seemed to have been hospitalised quite a few times. He died in 1934 from TB in hospital in Edinburgh. I seem to understand a little about what you were saying about the photograph and the 'party', it seems feasible.

thanks

Liz

This link might help with Army books/forms etc. Cheers, Paul. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...8858&hl=afw

hello Paul, I have just looked in at the above link, it's just fascinating to know that there are so many documents that have survived all these years, its just great. I'll have to have a look up at the reference library, and see what I can find out there about the abbreviations that I am interested in. Can I ask if you happen to know how I can find out about servicemen before WW1, specifically, 1891-1901, would be very grateful for any help. Would the National Archives be a good place to start?

thanks

Liz

I have only been there once Liz, my main interestest is uniforms and equipment, but my partner and I were able to find details of a relative who served in the Boer War. Not sure he was staff but a gentleman was able to tell us what to do. Long time ago and you can probably get some info. on line. Perhaps some info. here? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...etID=14&j=1

I have only been there once Liz, my main interestest is uniforms and equipment, but my partner and I were able to find details of a relative who served in the Boer War. Not sure he was staff but a gentleman was able to tell us what to do. Long time ago and you can probably get some info. on line. Perhaps some info. here? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...etID=14&j=1

Thanks for that Paul, I'll have a look and see what I can find out.

Liz

As regards where the photo was taken, I would suggest France due to the unusual telegraph pole visible through the trees.

The bridge itself looks a bit too ramshackle to be a replacement bridge for heavy traffic and may just be a training exercise, with the instructors/NCO's sitting on the far rail.

Unless the ladder folds, that pontoon is stranded on one side!! The bridge seems very low to cater for any heavy rain surges.

As regards where the photo was taken, I would suggest France due to the unusual telegraph pole visible through the trees.

The bridge itself looks a bit too ramshackle to be a replacement bridge for heavy traffic and may just be a training exercise, with the instructors/NCO's sitting on the far rail.

Unless the ladder folds, that pontoon is stranded on one side!! The bridge seems very low to cater for any heavy rain surges.

Thanks for your reply, interesting about France, as I think he was there at some time. I suppose that solves the question of where it was taken, as a previous contact mentioned France as well.

Liz