Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombers

Fromelles

I've been looking around but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I’m trying to find out the official composition (War Establishment) of the Bombing Platoon, I’m most interested in the first half of 1916 but think it would be useful if its evolution throughout the war might also be noted.

My very limited understanding is that initially 1 officer + 33 men constituted a bombing platoon, if this is the case, was it attached to the HQ or located within a specific company? Its number was gradually increased (when?) to 128 per battalion (8 per platoon), was it still know as a ‘Bombing Platoon’?

While I’m on a roll, I’ve seen reference to different titles within the bombing fraternity:

• Bombing Officer – battalion level

• Brigade Bombing Officer – brigade level

• Divisional Bombing Officer – division level

What did their jobs entail?

There may be no such a beast, but I’ve also seen a reference to ‘Bombing Major’, I can’t find anything official.

Where do the Rifle Grenadiers (if that's the correct title) sit in all this? Once qualified, were they too entitled to the ‘flaming grenade’ badge of the Grenadier / Bomber?

Finally, did all the Commonwealth formations follow the British in its implementation at the same time? If not, in what way and when did they differ or conform?

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Is there really no one out there that can provide any information?

Dan

Well, I'm no expert but my grandad was a LCpl in No3 Coy 1st Bn Coldstream Guards and was a bomber. I think his platoon commander Lt Frank Thewlis MC was qualified as a "Bombing Officer". No3 Coy attacked as the right forward company on 15 Sep 16 at Ginchy so, thinking tactically, the "bombing platoon" may have been tasked to hold a flank/trench during the advance. Pure speculation though without reading their orders for the attack!! A platoon would be around 30 - 36 men.

Member CT Guards may be able to help as he has access to a considerable amount of info on the Coldstream! May well be worth sending him a PM.

Sorry I cant be more helpful :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin

Read the on-line book linked from skipman's post here:

Instruction for the Training of Platoons for Offensive Actions, Online -book

This covers the post-Somme 1917 platoon structures, but it'll give you a "can opener" to work your way into this subject.

I'd also get hold of a copy of the excellent Battle Tactics of the Western Front by Paddy Griffith. All the various War Office and SS publications are referenced.

Cheers,

Mark