Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Infantrie Regiment 67

Paul Dorrell

German Infantrie Regiment 67 fought at Cambrai and captured the village of Villers Guislane. And probably my grandfather - serves 'em right too ! Were they the same as a British "New Army" unit or were they Prussian regulars or Territorials or what? Does anyone know their background and where they called home please?

Regards,

Paul

All I can find add that the 4th Magdeburg, Infantry Regiment number 67 came from Metz.

Paul;

Not surprisingly, the posted links to sources are in German. Does that work for you? The regiment was an "active" or regular regiment, but one of a special set of regiments raised elsewhere in Germany but stationed in Alsace-Lorraine, because more troops were needed on the border with France than could be raised from the local population. I have long noted these units but do not understand every detail about them, such as if they also accepted some local recruits as well. Metz was the capital of Lorraine and a major military post and fortress but the local population was partially French ethnically.

Post and let us know if you need further information.

Bob Lembke

Thank you everyone who has replied to my original post. The information you have supplied has given me all the information I needed. Thank you again.

Paul

Thanks Mike - I know who was in charge now. I didn't before.

Paul