Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Hart Connaught Rangers 4241

Arnhem44

Hi everyone,finally late last night I confirmed a long believed suspicion within the family that my Great Grandfather served in the army,he served in the Connaught Rangers service number 4241 and entered service in 1892 having served in Cyprus for nearly a year,nearly two years in Egypt,nearly five in India,then eighty eight days in Cape(S.Africa??)and finally home being discharged on 18/7/1904.But what I was hoping is someone here who is much more knowledgeable than myself could help me out,whilst searching on Ancestery looking at these records I also came across another record for a Joseph Harte who enlisted into the Leinster special reserve in 1908, service number 2314 and proceeded to be mobilised on the 7th of August 1914 when war broke out and went on to serve with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force in 1915,16,17, and 18,on this record there's one entry near the end that states he served in the Connaught Rangers as 4241,both records stated they came from Birr and both enlisted there(Bert on the record instead of Birr)Kings County(Offaly),would this be the same soldier as mentioned above and if so what else could be found out as to where he went and so on??.Any help would be much appreciated.

Brendan

Just had a look for a medal index card and noticed at the top of Joseph Hart's record for 2314 Leinster Reserve has a pencil mark through it and above that has the number 9524,the only matching number I'm coming up with for an MIC is Joseph Harte 9254 Royal Irish Regiment served in the Balkins,the name Hart we also know changed during the Irish census and an E was added to the end of the name.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Just noticed on his service record with the Connaught Rangers it states he is serving in 3rd Battalion Leinster Regiment when he enlists as a Regular into the Connaught Rangers aged 18.

Regards Mark

Hi,

I think it is the same man.

Regards Mark

Joseph Hart serving in 3rd Battalion Leinster Regiment 1891/2

4241 Private Joseph Hart enlisted in Connaught Rangers 19 July 1892 aged 18

4241 Private Joseph Hart Connaught Rangers discharged 18 July 1904

Enlisted 3rd Battalion Leinster Regiment 15 June 1908

3/2314 Private Joseph Joseph Harte Leinster Regiment transferred to Royal Irish Regiment 10 Aug 1915 with no.9254 and promoted Corporal.

Entered Theater of War 2a Balkans 5th(Service Record) or 15th(Medal Card) Sept 1915

Discharged 10 May 1918 Para 392 (XXVa) KR

Thank you so much for that Mark,thats exactly what I was hoping it would be.It's after puting a huge piece of family history together for me.I had seen the 3rd Leinster Regiment entry on the older record but assumed he simply enlisted into this regiment and then transferred straight into the Connaughts.From someone who's not used to reading these kind of things, thank you ,you have been a great help.

Brendan

Would anyone here be able to tell me which battalion my Great Grandfather was attached to with the Royal Irish Regiment,he was demoted on the 7 of July 1916 and was in Cairo at the time if that helps,service number 9254.

Hi,

This is from the LLT could be the 1st Garrison Battalion if he was in Cairo.

1st Garrison Battalion

Formed in Dublin, 2 August 1915.

24 September 1915 : landed at Mudros, having sailed from Devonport on 6 September. Working parties were sent into Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, during October 1915. After the withdrawal from Gallipoli, the Bn was sent to Egypt, where it landed on 5 February 1916 and then remained throughout the war.

On his Service Record where it says 'Gn Bn 1st transferred 10.8.15' could be a reference to the 1st Garrison Battalion.

I don,t think the Leinster Regiment had any Garrison Battalion's.

Also the 1st Battalion and 5th Service Battalions, Royal Irish Regiment also served at Salonika

Regards Mark

Thanks for the help Mark,it's much appreciated.I thought it might be the Garrison Battalion you mentioned but I don't know enough myself on this kind of subject to be honest.

Brendan