Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Player MM, Essex Yeomanry and AVC

eyman

Dear all

Many thanks to Maldon for drawing attention to this group with a local dealer, which I am delighted to have added to my collection.

Military Medal (1650 Pte, Essex Yeo), 1914-15 Star (1650 Pte, Essex Yeo), British War and Victory Medals (1560 A Cpl, Essex Yeo)

Military Medal London Gazette 22 January 1917 p834

Enlisted 30 November 1914. To France 8 June 1915

Later NA511 and SE/1650, AVC. Are these "normal" AVC numbers? The second of them just seems to be his Essex Yeo number with a prefix.

There is no indication of the incorrect number (1560) on the medal index card – I will need to check the rolls unless someone has copies of the Army Veterinary Corps rolls to hand.

In France, he served with C Sqn and is noted as a bomber in August 1916

Renumbered as 80535 in March 1917, the regimental daily orders in February 1919 and March 1919 show that he was still with 1/1st Essex Yeo. So it is not quite clear when he served with the AVC. Any ideas?

I can't be certain of the identification but I think the recipient may be George Alfred Player, age 17, living in Saffron Walden district in the 1911 census. 1901 census: 4th son of Alfred, agricultural labourer and Sarah, living at 15 Quendon Street, Quendon; age 7, born Quendon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

post-9698-1270592080.jpg

So pleased to have been of help Ian and that these have gone to such a good home. You are a lucky chap! They make me think about the Maldon/Heybridge lads in the Essex Yeomanry:

Trooper Thomas Launcelot Hugh MOORSE (survived)

Trooper Oxley Gordon ASKEW (KIA 14/5/15).

Trooper Leonard Belcham FITCH (died 8/7/18)

Trooper Ernest John PETCHEY (KIA 13/5/15)

Trooper Martin Davide FREE (KIA 14/5/15)

Trooper Thomas Barton WIRE (KIA 14/4/17)

Enjoy your new purchase.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon