Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Hartshorn from Brynmawr.

high wood

As my computer is still running the millenium edition software I am unable to browse Ancestry. Would someone be so kind as to see if the service papers for Albert Hartshorn who was born about 1897 in Brynmawr have survived. If I have the right man he served with the Leicestershire Regiment and then the Labour Corps.

Thank you,

Simon.

Simon. No records apart from his MIC to France 28-2-1915;SWB LC /6285; dis 1-4-1919, lists him as Albert H. Ralph.

Ralph,

thank you. The disembarkation date almost certainly places him as a reinforcement to the 1st battalion. However, the 1911 census index shows: HARTSHORN ALBERT HENRY M 1878 33 Basford Nottinghamshire who is almost certainly the Leicestershire Regiment man and not the Brynmawr Albert Hartshorn.

Simon.

Ralph - I think Albert H Hartshorn's papers are available, if this is the man you're referring to (and it seems to have the same SWB details):-

Name: Albert H Hartshorn

Regiment or Corps: Leicestershire Regiment, Labour Corps

Regimental Number: 1673, 440740

Name: Albert Handel Hartshorn

Document Year: 1919

Regimental Number: 448740 - it is 44070 but the first page is smudged

Regiment Name: Labour Corps

Number of Images: 28

Discharge papers - but place of birth is different.

Louise

Louise,

thank you but I am now certain that Albert Handel Hartshorn of the Leicestershire Regiment is a red herring concerning the photograph that I am trying to attribute as I don't think that he has a Welsh connection. My Albert Hartshorn was born in Brynmawr in Wales in 1897. The 1911 census index shows him as being in Crickhowell in Brecknockshire in 1911 and my photograph was taken in Liverpool.

He is wearing army uniform without a cap so that no regimental badge is visible. The shoulder titles possibly show SR which could indicate Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Simon.