Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Major John William Lockwood RAMC

chris l

My first post here, and I am looking for some advice on finding out mor about my Grandfather's service with the RAMC.

He was born in London in 1865, and I have traced him through several censuses, until, apparently, he entered the Army as a boy soldier, in the 1870's.

He served his time, according to the family myths, and was discharged around 1903.

When war was declared he signed up again, and went to France, according to one of the two medal cards I have found, in May 1915...

Could I ask for advice on how best to try to trace details of his time with the RAMC? And for translations of the terms and abbreviations used on the medal cards?

For any help, in advance, my thanks; I am trying to find out as much as possible for my Father, who is 80.

Sgt Major Lockwood died in 1935, having fathered my Dad to his second wife, when he himself was 70!

I wish I known him, he must have been quite a man...

jwlmedalcardpf2.jpg

grandad2.jpg

CL

Welcome to the Forum !

Firstly,a search for his service record was unsuccessful. Over 70% were lost in 1940 bombing.

Secondly,the original medal Rolls are at Kew under the WO329 series. There are two for this soldier,one with the 1914-15 Star,and one with the British War and Victory Medals. I don't think that a unit is shown against the entries,which would have been a way of finding which he served with on first entry into a war theatre.

I have looked at the Divisions of the Army which have landed in France in May 1915. There are several. The best match in date terms to meet that on the Medal Card (31.5.1915) is 12 Eastern Division which landed between 29 May and 1 June 1915. Others include 9,14 and 51 Divisions,these were there earlier in June,but that doesn't eliminate them as a possibility,as his Field Ambulance (if indeed that is where he served) may have arrived later,for instance 51 (Highland) Division had an extra FA joined in May,it was the 2/1 Highland Field Ambulance. The Field Ambulances of 12 Div,the best match, were 36,37 and 38. You then have to consider whether he was a replacement or addition to the complement of a unit already there !!

You might have ideas about which Div he might have joined. Again,he might have been attached to a Hospital in France or Belgium.

Sorry if it doesn't look as easy to track as you might wish,but the options are here !

Another possibility of finding a unit is to see if he is on the 1918 Absent Voters List for the area of his domicile,which sometimes shows that detail.

Good hunting !

Sotonmate

CL

Welcome to the Forum !

Firstly,a search for his service record was unsuccessful. Over 70% were lost in 1940 bombing.

Secondly,the original medal Rolls are at Kew under the WO329 series. There are two for this soldier,one with the 1914-15 Star,and one with the British War and Victory Medals. I don't think that a unit is shown against the entries,which would have been a way of finding which he served with on first entry into a war theatre.

I have looked at the Divisions of the Army which have landed in France in May 1915. There are several. The best match in date terms to meet that on the Medal Card (31.5.1915) is 12 Eastern Division which landed between 29 May and 1 June 1915. Others include 9,14 and 51 Divisions,these were there earlier in June,but that doesn't eliminate them as a possibility,as his Field Ambulance (if indeed that is where he served) may have arrived later,for instance 51 (Highland) Division had an extra FA joined in May,it was the 2/1 Highland Field Ambulance. The Field Ambulances of 12 Div,the best match, were 36,37 and 38. You then have to consider whether he was a replacement or addition to the complement of a unit already there !!

You might have ideas about which Div he might have joined. Again,he might have been attached to a Hospital in France or Belgium.

Sorry if it doesn't look as easy to track as you might wish,but the options are here !

Another possibility of finding a unit is to see if he is on the 1918 Absent Voters List for the area of his domicile,which sometimes shows that detail.

Good hunting !

Sotonmate

Many thanks for your help; more work to keep me busy!

cheers

When he was awarded the MSM he was serving with the 43rd Field Ambulance. His entry in the London Gazette can be found here

They were part of the 14th Division. It is possible that he may be mentioned in their war diary held at the NA under reference no WO 95/1891.

Barbara

CL. The abbreviations on his card are :- W O 1 Warrant Officer Class 1; and the RAMC/101 B51 3577 refer to the medal rolls held at the NA Kew, these are not on line and have to be viewed in person. Ralph.

"CL. The abbreviations on his card are :- W O 1 Warrant Officer Class 1; and the RAMC/101 B51 3577 refer to the medal rolls held at the NA Kew, these are not on line and have to be viewed in person."

" When he was awarded the MSM he was serving with the 43rd Field Ambulance. His entry in the London Gazette can be found here

They were part of the 14th Division. It is possible that he may be mentioned in their war diary held at the NA under reference no WO 95/1891. "

Barabara, Ralph; thank you very much for your help; this gives me much more to work on.

According to family history, he won a medal for rescuing a young Officer, who later died of wounds. This may be the MSM.

Given a letter for his young lady, Sgt Major Lockwood delivered it to her by hand, whilst on leave.

After the war he married her, 30 years younger than him...

Which is why I'm here!

My thanks again.

Chris