Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper John OWEN MM - Depot, Special Bde, RE's

andy saunders

Can anyone throw any light on Sapper John Owen MM 154420 of Depot, Special Brigade, who died on 11 December 1917?

I have all the usual detail from CWGC, but his Soldiers Bible is also inscribed:

"O" Company

80 Section

4th Battalion

Royal Engineers

I would like to establish a little more detail about his unit. Also, does anyone know anything of his MM?

I understand he was wounded in France but died of his wounds in the UK.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Andy Saunders

Andy

"O" Special Company was a unit of the Royal Engineers Special Brigade, responsible for much of the UK's chemical warfare effort. O Company was a cylinder unit, which dispensed gas from cylinders and also operated the Liven's Projector, a crude , but highly effective mortar type device, which dispensed gas and burning oil. His number suggests enlisted in 1916. In 1915, there were four Special Companies, which were formed to retaliate agains the German gas attacks. In January 1916, the organisation was expanded into a brigade sized formation. Donald Richter's book "Chemical Soldiers" gives a very good, and readable overview. The unit also has a war diary at the National Archives:

WO 95/242 `O' Special Company Royal Engineers 1917 Mar. - 1919 May

The Special Brigade had two Depot's, one in France, at Helfaut, approximately 4 miles South of St Omer, where all troops posted to SB units passed through, and the Special Brigade Reserve Depot at Withnoe, Devonport, although this was formed in 1915 under a different name for another purpose. From June 1916, its role was to provide reinforcements for the Brigade and deal with returned expeditionary force men such as John Owen. He would have been on their administrative books, even whilst in hospital.

If I can help further, please let me know.

TR

He is on the village memorial at Port Dinorwig (now called Felinheli) which is in between Bangor and Caernarfon. I can send you a photo if you want. He may be on one in the Abergele area.

He was in a local paper casualty list dated 12/10/1917 as wounded but they could be weeks out and were based on the Official casualty list

Local papers dated 4/5/1917 congratualted him on the MM so that will narrow that down. Fifth son of Robert and Margaret Owen. Three brothers serving

If Andrew Hesketh doesn't spot this then PM him as he has an interest in the Abergel area and may have some more.

Hywyn

I've just managed to find him in the London Gazette. His MM was listed on the 26th May 1917 (published 25th May 1917) on page 5194.

Jonathan

I've just managed to find him in the London Gazette. His MM was listed on the 26th May 1917 (published 25th May 1917) on page 5194.

Jonathan

I am most grateful indeed for your kind information - one and all!

As you may know, this topic is ever so slightly out of my "comfort zone" and so the information is most welcome indeed.

The offer of a memorial photo would be gratefully accepted and I'd be pleased to know if anyone has a photo of the headstone in Llanddeiniolen. Its a bit of a trek from Sussex!