Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers Medals.

JACameron

Hoping to do some research on Grandfather who was in the Great War with the Gordon Highlanders serving in Italy in 1917.

Unfortunately a member of the family sold his medals a number of years ago :angry2: and all I have is a photograph of him wearing them.Could anyone perhaps ID the medals he is wearing from the ribbons? Any help much appreciated.

1-85.jpg

For starters, left to right

British War Medal 1914-18

Victory Medal 1914-18

Defence Medal 1939-45

I'm baffled perhaps an expert will be along shortly

Peter

The ribbon looks like the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal 1953 - red with two central thin blue stripes and white edges, but the medal itself looks a bit too big. The diameter of Coronation Medal is 32mm against the 37mm for the Defence Medal. On the photo they appear to be roughly the same size although that may be a trick of the lighting conditions.

Many thanks to all ,much appreciated.

Don't have much to go on apart from an old photograph with him in uniform,his cap badge and a minature bible that he carried throughout the war and the fact he was in Italy in 1917. If he was serving in Italy in 1917 with Gordon Highlanders it looks like he was possibly with the 7th div,2nd bat as they were there at that time.

Again,many thanks for your time.

Hi and welcome to the Forum,why don`t you post his name and number,you never know what information the Gordons experts on the Forum can tell you.

Gary

Hi and welcome to the Forum,why don`t you post his name and number,you never know what information the Gordons experts on the Forum can tell you.

Gary

Thank you,his name was Alister MacDonald from Fort William but unfortunately I don't have his number which makes things a lot harder.Have no papers and b****y brother sold his medals a number of years back and by the time we got to shop they had been sold on,they're out there somewhere though!

Tried the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards...no luck!

Cheers

John.

I don't believe that's a Defence Medal - The Defence Medal is green/red/green with thin black stripe in the green. The photo shows a distinct yellow strip either side of the middle reddish strip.

Hi John

1st up are we sure he was in the Gordons.? do you know his address or Mother and Fathers name.

Gary.

I think they're the British war medal, victory medal, defence medal and imperial service medal. Alby.

Trust me, it's a Defence Medal. That 'yellow stripe' is a trick of the light/reproduction of the photograph. Presence of a Defence Medal and a Coronation inclines me towards service in something civic; police, special constabulary, civil defence?

Hi John

1st up are we sure he was in the Gordons.? do you know his address or Mother and Fathers name.

Gary.

Yes definately in Gordons,I have his cap badge and photo,see pics.

He was in Italy in Dec 1917 as a letter was sent there to him informing him his mother had died on the 31st December 1917. He was in two areas: the region of Alti Piave and Caporetto, north Italy. Don't have an address offhand but as far as I know he was living in Fort William.His fathers name was Simon MacDonald and mother was a Maggie McLean.

post-44115-1270587723.jpg

post-44115-1270587877.jpg

Trust me, it's a Defence Medal. That 'yellow stripe' is a trick of the light/reproduction of the photograph. Presence of a Defence Medal and a Coronation inclines me towards service in something civic; police, special constabulary, civil defence?

I think he was involved in the Home Guard in the Second World War if that helps!

Cheers,

John.

Is this man a possibility? No 1914/15 Star:-

Name: Alister McDonald

Regiment or Corps: Cameron Highlanders, Gordons

Regimental Number: S-25011, S-40602

The only others of that name serving with "Highlanders" I can find MICs for are:-

Regiment or Corps: 16th Highland Light Infantry

Regimental Number: 15003

Regiment or Corps: 1st/6 Royal Highlanders, 1st/6 Royal Highlanders

Regimental Number: 2126, 265601

(both entitled to the 14/15 Star)

Name: A J McDonald

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders, Royal Highlanders

Regimental Number: S/19775, S/41275

Name: Alister R McDonald

Regiment or Corps: Cameron Highlanders, Royal Sussex Regiment

Regimental Number: 26135, G/37059

These two have cross-references, but are entitled to Stars:-

Name: A MacDonald

[A McDonald]

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders

Regimental Number: S/4346, 202688

Name: A McDonald

[A MacDonald]

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders

Regimental Number: 6195/4

Is this man a possibility? No 1914/15 Star:-

Regiment or Corps: Cameron Highlanders, Gordons

Regimental Number: S-25011, S-40602

The only others of that name serving with "Highlanders" I can find MICs for are:-

Regiment or Corps: 16th Highland Light Infantry

Regimental Number: 15003

Regiment or Corps: 1st/6 Royal Highlanders, 1st/6 Royal Highlanders

Regimental Number: 2126, 265601

(both entitled to the 14/15 Star)

Name: A J McDonald

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders, Royal Highlanders

Regimental Number: S/19775, S/41275

Name: Alister R McDonald

Regiment or Corps: Cameron Highlanders, Royal Sussex Regiment

Regimental Number: 26135, G/37059

These two have cross-references, but are entitled to Stars:-

Name: A MacDonald

[A McDonald]

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders

Regimental Number: S/4346, 202688

Name: A McDonald

[A MacDonald]

Regiment or Corps: Gordon Highlanders

Regimental Number: 6195/4

Thanks for that,have downloaded relevant ones and just need to decipher what it all means!

Cheers,

John.

Imperial Service Medal

Hello per ardua per mare terram,That's the medal I was thinking of, civil servants got that in my old job after 25 years good service. Alby.

• 1 month later...

If it is an ISM and you know his occupation a note of his award of an ISM can be found in The London Gazette....John

I do agree that we are looking at the 1st War Victory and British war medal with a 2nd War Defence Medal which was issues to Home Guard and Home based troops (not sure what the qualifying time was) but my Grandfather got one as well. Now as to the last ,I agree with the Queens Coronation medal of 1953 option rather than the ISM.

Rob

John,

If he was in Italy at the end of 1917 I suspect he was almost certainly in the 2nd Battalion.

HERE IS A LINK TO THE NATIONAL ARCHIVE CATALOGUE for the war diary. It does not appear to be digitised as yet so you will either have to pay for it or plan a trip to Kew!

They left France in Nov 19th 1917 arriving on the 29th in the region of Treviso (Piave Front) Chapter XXI of "Life of a Regiment" (Falls) covers the Battalions time there. If you do not have access to this drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do for you, its about 12 pages with a couple of maps.

Cheers

Chris

The last medal is the Queen's Coronation Medal. You should find his name in the 1953 Coronation Medal Roll at the National Archives.

Philip