Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4108 PTE John Elliott 4th BN London Regiment

River97

Evening all,

I have a story and also some questions if some could provide assistance.

I purchased a lonely Victory Medal off fleabay to add to the growing collection of London Regiment singles. The beautiful little disc arrived today and put a smile on my face. The listing only mentioned the bare basics of the details on the rim, which are, 4108 PTE. J. ELLIOTT. 4-LOND.R.

Once I had realised that I had won the medal and being the inquisitive person I am, and having the access to Ancestry, I thought I might have a look for any details that may have survived the second war. So, the journey began.

Firstly, I quickly realised that John was not a fallen soldier, just a young kid who had done his bit and lived to tell the tale. The Medal Index Card was easy to pull up (he only had a four digit service number) showing he was entitled to the 1914-15 Star trio after entering France on 27 August 1915. At this stage he held the rank of Lance Corporal, however, the British War Medal and Victory medal show the rank of Private.

The difference in rank is because, also on the MIC, it states "Being a minor Amer Citiz". This gave me a bit of a shock as I had never seen this or had the privilege in owning a medal with a description like that. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that the writing means 'Being a minor American Citizen'

Had a quick hunt for any service records or pension records, but had no luck. Undeterred and for some reason I had another look last night and bingo! there they were, 24 pages of service records alive and kicking on Ancestry. (The listing says they contain 45 pages, however, on page 25 they become someone else's, and later on they become a third soldier's)

Downloaded the lot, saved them to a file and had a rather in-depth read. John lived at 192 'Frankland' Street, Whitman, Massachusetts, United States, where his father, James Christopher Elliott, was listed as the next of kin. I have had a look on both Goggle Earth and Goggle Maps and there is no Frankland Street in Whitman, however, there is a Franklin Street.

He enlisted at 112 Shaftsbury Street, London, on 4 May 1915. John was posted to the 4/4th Battalion the following day and promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal on 11 September 1915. He was then transferred to the 1/4th Battalion on 27 October 1915.

After seeing service in France John returned to the UK on 20 January 1916 with the rank of Private, where, just two and a half months later he was discharged from the BEF and sent home. The young soldier wore the uniform of a British soldier for a total of 313 days. This is where the story becomes interesting and starts asking the questions. John was not killed or wounded during his service, had some minor trouble with the MP's, but nothing to shout home about, or get him kicked out.

For some reason I think he caused a bit of a stink as there are letters from Captain Yeoman, O.C. Administrative Centre, directly to the secretary of the War Office. One of which states that John arrived in the UK just three days before he enlisted. The American Consul General received an application to have him discharged as he was a minor and it seems that all the stops were pulled out and his discharge 'should be carried out as soon as possible.'

His age on enlistment is noted as 19 years and 9 months, so, did the Americans consider their people as minors at that age during the war? If not, then did he lie about his age and how old was he? (this is where I need someone in the US to see if they can drag up some genealogy on him and the family)

Would anyone out there also know what became of him, did he re-up in the AEF when they entered or live a peaceful life in some quiet corner of the United States?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers Andy.