Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA 1911-1919?

AnnieG1916

Please, I need help finding the enlistment/service history in the Royal Garrison Artillery for my grandfather. From his MIC, reference is made to the Metroplitan Police (he served with the Met Pol from 1920-22) and their archive records show his Army service as RGA and the numbers 22-11 to 21-19 (does anybody know what these numbers mean). He was born in Australia. He married my grandmother in 1915 and was based at Fort Cumberland, Eastney, Portsmouth in 1915 and was described a Gunner, RGA. Would be very grateful for any information/guidance on this matter. Thank you.

AG

There is a Medal Card on Ancestry UK which means that he served overseas and was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals. He didn't go overseas until after 1915 as he has no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star. The original Medal Roll is at Kew Archives in the WO329 series bit the RGA series doesn't show the unit he served in on first arrival overseas.

A search for his service record failed,so he was likely one of the 70 % plus,whose record was destroyed in London bombing of 1940.

If he was over 21 in 1918 you might get to find his entry on an Absent Voters List for his home area. That might show the unit he served,if so you can go on to find War Diary(ies) for his active service time.

Sotonmate

AG

There is a Medal Card on Ancestry UK which means that he served overseas and was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals. He didn't go overseas until after 1915 as he has no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star. The original Medal Roll is at Kew Archives in the WO329 series bit the RGA series doesn't show the unit he served in on first arrival overseas.

A search for his service record failed,so he was likely one of the 70 % plus,whose record was destroyed in London bombing of 1940.

If he was over 21 in 1918 you might get to find his entry on an Absent Voters List for his home area. That might show the unit he served,if so you can go on to find War Diary(ies) for his active service time.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for your reply. My grandad has proved a very elusive person to try and find out about. It has taken me 18 months to come up with the info I have. I will try the AVL. Re his service in the RGA. Do you think the numbers 22-11 to 21-19 mean that he served in the RGA from 1911-1919?

Welcome Annie,

I suspect part of this pre war gunners service was with 42 Company at Portsmouth, where he will have joined 51 Sge Bty which was formed there 30.7.1915. A mechanised battery of 4 x 6 in Howitzers (26 cwt) that went out to the Western front 17.3.1916. Given his service number you should also be able to find out where he was serving on the 1911 census.

Rgds Paul

Welcome Annie,

I suspect part of this pre war gunners service was with 42 Company at Portsmouth, where he will have joined 51 Sge Bty which was formed there 30.7.1915. A mechanised battery of 4 x 6 in Howitzers (26 cwt) that went out to the Western front 17.3.1916. Given his service number you should also be able to find out where he was serving on the 1911 census.

Rgds Paul

Thanks Paul for the enlightening info. I will give the 1911 census a try.

Regards AnnieG

His number would indicate an enlistment around August 1911, so he may not be on the 1911 census, which I think was taken at the end of March, early April.

There could not have been many Australians coming over to enlist in the RGA in 1911. Did he come from Melbourne? There was one other who indirectly came from there at the start of the war, although originally enlisting in 1911. May be a coincidence.

Kevin

His number would indicate an enlistment around August 1911, so he may not be on the 1911 census, which I think was taken at the end of March, early April.

There could not have been many Australians coming over to enlist in the RGA in 1911. Did he come from Melbourne? There was one other who indirectly came from there at the start of the war, although originally enlisting in 1911. May be a coincidence.

Kevin

To the best of my knowledge he was born in Benalla, Victoria so I presume he would have sailed from Melborne. Is the "one other you refer to also named Alfred? We are also trying to track down his brother John(Jack) who may have left Australia with him or followed on afterwards. Do you, by any chance, have dob's for the two people you refer to?

Regards

AnnieG

There was the outside chance that the gunner I referred to came over on the same boat as Alfred Robinson. I am sure a year or so ago one could search the incoming passenger lists for free from the Nat. Archives site, but now it appears to have been given to Ancestry. It is not searchable under their normal subscription, but perhaps your local library has paid for the better package. It may be able to show when he arrived and his age and narrow down his dob.

Paul has given you the difficult bit with researching gunners, and that is the battery he served with. For more general info. on the artillery then have a look at the LLT (short cut at top of page). You could also search the forum to see if anyone else has requested information about the 51st Sge. Bty..

Kevin

There was the outside chance that the gunner I referred to come over on the same boat as Alfred Robinson. I am sure a year or so again one could search the incoming passenger lists for free from the Nat. Archives site, but now it appears to have been given to Ancestry. It is not searchable under their normal subscription, but perhaps your local library has paid for the better package. It may be able to show when he arrived and his age and narrow down his dob.

Paul has given you the difficult bit with researching gunners, and that is the battery he served with. For more general info. on the artillery then have a look at the LLT (short cut at top of page). You could also search the forum to see if anyone else has requested information about the 51st Sge. Bty..

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for your reply.

I have tried searching passenger list before on Ancestry but without success - I will give my local library a try. I will also try the LLT and the search on 51st Sge Bty. Your help is appreciated.

Regards Annie G

There was the outside chance that the gunner I referred to come over on the same boat as Alfred Robinson. I am sure a year or so again one could search the incoming passenger lists for free from the Nat. Archives site, but now it appears to have been given to Ancestry. It is not searchable under their normal subscription, but perhaps your local library has paid for the better package. It may be able to show when he arrived and his age and narrow down his dob.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Just re-read your posts. I did a quick trawl through TNA's Card Catalogue - BT 26. There seem to be a number of sailings from Sydney (via Melbourne) in the second half of 1910. Does this tie in with the info you mentioned in your earlier post?

AnnieG

Annie,

I really don't know because I do not know when the other gunner arrived exactly. I am not researching him so have no need to find out. You should be able to find out when Alfred Robinson arrived and more of the history of his battery.

Kevin