Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt John Henry Reeves RE

ForeignGong

Hi all

Researching the above man & I have his MIC which is very scratchy, just gives two Regt No's & unit as RE 536046 which his pair is named & RE (T) 4049.

With the group was a National Fire Brigades Association Long Service medal with 3 bars, 2 X Five Years & 1 X Twenty Years, this is named 3871 John H Reeves.

A couple of questions

Can anyone decipher anything from the two Regt No's ???

Where can I research his Fire Brigade medal & service ???

The MIC only shows entitlement to the pair but he is also entitled to a Russian Medal of Zeal with a St Stanislaus Ribbon.

Any help much appreciated

Peter

Peter

He enlisted in the RE TF. In March 1917, the men were renumbered and it is this second number that indicates he was serving with 1/3 (Home Counties) Field Company, which was re-titled 492 Field Company in 1917.The Company was formed at Newhaven on 21.8.1915 and joined the 67th Division at Southborough on 6.11.15. On 26 October 1917 it joined the 71st Division, having been exchanged with 645 (East Lancs) Field Company. This division was responsible for East Coast Defences between Mersea and Walton - on - Naze. The Division ceased to exist on 10 January, 1918, the company however, stayed intact. Later in the the year it was sent to joint the North Russia Expeditionary Force, landing at Murmansk on 29th September , 1918.

TR

Hi Terry

Is he a relative of yours or just the same surname??

Anyway, many thanks for the info it really helps.

Peter

Peter

No, he's not a relative. I do however, have a group of medals to a soldier from the same unit, 536191 Sgt RHW Gunstone RE, who went to Russia with your man. He enlisted on 11.10.1915 and his original number was 4204.

TR

Hello Peter,

In the case of Sgt John Henry Reeves, the Russian Medal for Zeal (suspended from ribbon of St Stanislaus) was awarded by the White Russians but cannot trace whether it was for services in North or South Russia. Medal was the 28/29mm dia silver medal.

Hoping this reply is of some help.

Rob

Thank you both for the info it is very helpful, I appreciate it.

Does any one know how I can research the Fire Brigade Long Service Medal ???

Peter