Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

matthews RASC

kintyre51

Hello

I am trying to find details of someone who could be my grandfather. I found a record in CWGC recording his burial in Monkton Kent which is very likely but cannot find any record of him on ancestry.

CWGC - J Matthews driver reg no 261564 date of death 29.12.1918 Royal Army Service Corps, cemetery Monkton Kent

I found out from your great forum that his regiment did not have Royal unitl 1918 but I keep getting no records from any type of search I do - In fact it found someone else with the regiment number from a different regiment.

Can anyone help please? I don't even know his approximate birth year as he died before he could marry my granmother and we only have sketchy details but know she lived in Monlton (Small village) around that time.

THanks??

Hi

It is weird that is does not come up on SDGW, he may not have had a MIC if he did not go overseas and the service record may have benn destroyed.

I searched Free BMD and got these - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

so you have 2 to choose from - the death form may give more information

regards

Robert

Many "casualties" are not recorded on SDGW in particular those after Nov 1918 and those that died home without service overseas. So its not that surprising in this case.

HI,

I couldn't find the churchyard in Monkton, Kent.

And is Monlton in Devon ?

Can we take it that your Mother / Father was born out of wedlock ? - no name on birth certificate ?

Grant

I found that page, but when you look for it on Google maps, there appears to be no church in Monkton, Kent :-(

Grant

Thanks to you all. Yes I mistyped Monkton. I even found a video on youtube showing the church and memorial. I have just posted another query as I am trying to find out why he was buried there. Yes my father was born out of wedlock hence the problems I am having trying to pinpoint who he was. The Matthews/Monkton link is the best so far! oh and although I have said it before - you are all wonderful with your help and vast knowledge. I would have been stuck long ago without you!

I also saw the video, but I still cant find it in Monkton - not even on google maps :-(

Do you have any idea when you Dad was born? and what was Gmums maiden name and place / date of birth ?

I checked the Army GRO and he's not listed on there so he might have been discharged from the Army

Grant

kintyre51: You can email rollofhonour@ntlworld.com once you have completed all your research to have his Christian Name(s) and other information added - just in case there are other family members searching for him!!

There is a contact number for the church - you could enquire if there are any other related graves, which might point to family links...