Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Edward Faulkner

stephen p nunn

We went for a drive into Suffolk today and I got a bit carried away and bought a death plaque. It is to a "John Edward Faulkner". Looking at CWGC there is only one "J.E. Faulkner" and he was a private in the Royal Sussex Regiment (DOW 12/10/18). Cross referencing with the medal cards he was indeed "John Edward" so it looks like that's the chap. Any information on him would be very welcome indeed. Would love to get a photo of him and I am going to go out to find his grave.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

1901 census his father was a cab driver/groom ,same address as the CWGC. Ralph.

Great - thanks Ralph. Have followed through on those two leads now. I notice that Hove Library has him listed on the memorial with "pictures to follow"!

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Have got a bit further with this chap today:

Born in Hove in 1896/97. Father Walter (the groom/cab driver) and mother Sarah. Two brothers - Walter and Percival - and a sister - Edith.

Lived at 18 Byron Street, Hove (house still there). Probably moved to Chichester and enlisted there.

Served in the 9th Sussex (as TF/203181).

DOW on 12/10/18 (aged 22) - probably in the 29th or 46th CCS.

Buried at Delsaux Farm Cemetery (at I.F.7).

Medal card indicates entitlement to the pair.

Have sent enquiries to Hove Library and the Sussex Record Office.

Have I wrung it dry do you think? (Would love a picture of him and/or any War Diary entry/details of the 9th's movements at that time).

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Hallo Maldon,

He is listed in "Hove and the Great War" HERE

Regards

CGM

Thanks CGM - kind of you. Great book. I found him in it. Just the basic details and no picture unfortunately. Hove Library have a collection of photos of the chaps on the memorial (in their foyer) but unfortunately John's is not amongst them. Any thoughts re. the War Diary and his service number (which starts TF)?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon. When looking through the local paper in our local studies library, on several occasions the comment " blocks of photographs ordered for this edition have not arrived they will be published in our next issue " so maybe your mans image is in a later edition of the Hove newspaper. Just a thought. ralph.

Still researching this chap. Had some helpful replies from Hove Library but no further forward as yet. The things I am keen to discover are:

1). The war diary for that day/period.

2). A picture of him.

3). A picture of his grave (there is nothing on-line).

4). An idea of what happened to him/his regiment at that time.

Any help chums?

Thanks.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Dear all,

Brighton & Hove Library came up trumps. They sent me in the post today a copy of the "Municipal War Record" for John (sadly no photo). It looks like it was completed by the family (his father) at the time. It confirms his full name as John Edward Faulkner and that he was born in Hove on 10/5/1896. He went to Coleridge Street School and lived at Byron Street, Hove. He was a Chemists Assistant and was single. He joined the Royal Sussex on 14/6/17.

It goes on to state that he died of wounds on 12/8/18 at number 46 Casualty Clearing Station, France, from "gun shot wounds to face, thighs and back".

So sad but I really feel like we are connecting with this chap now.

Can anyone add anything as a result of this please (e.g. information on 46 CCS).

Thanks all.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Dear all,

Brighton & Hove Library came up trumps. They sent me in the post today a copy of the "Municipal War Record" for John (sadly no photo). It looks like it was completed by the family (his father) at the time. It confirms his full name as John Edward Faulkner and that he was born in Hove on 10/5/1896. He went to Coleridge Street School and lived at Byron Street, Hove. He was a Chemists Assistant and was single. He joined the Royal Sussex on 14/6/17.

It goes on to state that he died of wounds on 12/8/18 at number 46 Casualty Clearing Station, France, from "gun shot wounds to face, thighs and back".

So sad but I really feel like we are connecting with this chap now.

Can anyone add anything as a result of this please (e.g. information on 46 CCS).

Thanks all.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Dear all,

I have been looking at the Municipal War Record again this morning and there is something really odd. The form must have been completed at the time as it talks about any other information which might become available "before the end of the war". It wasn't completed by his father (Walter) after all but probably by his brother (Percival) as it is signed off by "Mr. P. Faulkner". The brother is very specific as to dates - born 10/5/1896; joined 14/6/17. Here is the really odd bit - the form says he was wounded 11 August 1918 and DOW in 46 CCS on 12 August 1918. This is at odds with the official record (CWGC, SDGW etc) which states 12 October 1918 (two months later).

So was John's brother really mistaken at the time or is the official record (including John's headstone) wrong?

Any help please friends?

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

If he did die at 46 CCS as his brother states, then according to the LLT it wasn't located at Delsaux Farm until October 1918. Before then it was at Bailleulval. So if he really died in the August would he have been buried at Delsaux Farm Cemetery?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Maldon. 9th Bn Diary available HERE for £3.50. There are a couple of other diaries as well. Great value for money.

Cheers Mike

Evening all. After a real big problem with my technology, I managed to eventually download the 9th. Sussex War Diary for the period in question. According to the official sources, John Faulkner died of wounds in the 46th Casualty Clearing Station on 12/10/1918. His brother suggests he received his wounds the day before (11/10/1918 - although he confused October with August for some reason). The diary indicates that the 9th were between Avesnes Les Aubert and Biefvillers on the 11th where they were told to hold their position. There was strong enemy opposition (from M.G.s) and during the night the Germans withdrew to the line of the Selle River. The next day (12th) the Battalion was at Avesnes-Les-Aubert and ordered to capture high ground East of the Selle River. There is no mention of Private Faulkner by name but by 20.00 hours on 11th the 9th's casualties totaled 2 officers and 38 other ranks. Private Faulkner was buried at Delsaux Farm Cemetery.

Do all those locations and sequence of events seem right? Is the location close to the CCS? Does anyone have a contemporary trench map and modern location map please?

Many thanks.

SPN

Maldon

2lb04n9.jpg

Hi Maldon, the locations look ok to me. Not sure of exact position of 46 CCS, but Delsaux farm is near Beugny. If your man was wounded, the distance to ccs, from, even Avesnes-Les-Aubert, is about 20 miles as crow flies.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

2lb04n9.jpg

Hi Maldon, the locations look ok to me. Not sure of exact position of 46 CCS, but Delsaux farm is near Beugny. If your man was wounded, the distance to ccs, from, even Avesnes-Les-Aubert, is about 20 miles as crow flies.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike

That's excellent help as usual Mike - many thanks old chum. (Also thanks for putting me on to the War Diary).

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon