Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Officers, North West London

scotchegg75

Picked this up cheap at a postcard fair today as it was such a nice image. However I have no idea who they are or why or when other than it is postmarked NW London and sent to Mrs Glover, Queen Charlotte Hospital, Marylebone, London.

Any ideas ?

4493455279_4dc9369d39.jpg

Larger size here:

Larger size image

Couldn't say who they are but would put this around 1904 as the WOs are wearing a mix of detachable shoulder straps and shoulder cords.

Hello Paul,

Looks like RSME Brompton Barracks to me, been there a few times and those steps and pillars are unchanged today (central part of attached image)

post-7141-1270504978.jpg

Most look as though they are wearing RE cap badges which seems to confirm it. The 'begonged' General Officer on the right should be fairly easy I would have thought. It might be the IGF or DFW, if it was taken after 1904. The chap to his left could be the Commandant RSME. I'm sure someone on here will identify him.

Regards

Tocemma

Here's a closer view showing the stonework above the doors and window arches opposite side of the parade ground. Confirmed I would say.

Tocemma

post-7141-1270505447.jpg

Apart from the Officers as identified, the rank badge worn by most of them appears to a large crown on the lower cuff, this would indicate that they're actually "Sergeant Majors", so wonder if it's a Corps gathering??

Hello all,

Yes senior WOs, the Commandant, and possibly the Inspector General or Director of Fortifications (after 1905) or his assistant. I wonder too if the chap to the right of the General (in the blue patrol jacket and forage cap) is the RSM? I think Wainfleet has the date about right 1904-5. Some of the WOs are wearing the first pattern of drab SD jacket with the removable shoulder straps, but several seem to have the second type with the twisted cord. I think the twisted cord shoulder straps were sealed in the middle of 1903, not an exact science though as the overlap of the patterns is quite wide. I have pictures of the twisted cord type still being worn in late 1914 even though they were ordered out of use in 1908, but I would suspect WFs suggestion is correct.

It would be nice if we could id the General Officer.

Tocemma

Hello Paul,

Looks like RSME Brompton Barracks to me, been there a few times and those steps and pillars are unchanged today (central part of attached image)

Regards

Tocemma

I thought they looked familiar, the company I work for painted that fascade a few years ago.

Tocemma - the rank RSM and his Royal Arms rank badge didn't appear until the Great War. "Sergeant Majors" during this earlier period with the large crown rank badge were the WOI and I can count at least five of them. The general appearance of those(apart from the Officers) where the rank badge can't been seen, implies that it could be a gathering of some the Corps most senior WOI's.

Graham you're quite right, I should be more careful with contemporary description of ranks. The position of the SM in the patrol jacket suggest he may be the senior SM at Brompton though. Probably lends more weight to the suggestion that the General is the IGF or DFW. As you say a gathering of the great and the good. Not an especially smart looking bunch for SMs I would suggest. Possibly an adhoc photo given the wide range of clothing displayed here.

Regards

Tocemma