Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this Yeomanry uniform please?

high wood

I am trying to identify the man in this photograph which was taken in Pershore, Worcestershire in 1910. If I can identify the uniform it should be much easier. Is it a cavalry or a yeomanry uniform?

post-6480-1270482148.jpg

Given its Geography; I would suggest Worcestershire Yeomanry circa post 1908.

HB

I had googled Worcestershire Yeomanry but couldn't find a comparison photograph. Certainly some Yeomanry units did wear helmets of this kind.

I think that the man was Frederick Charles Burston and that he later served with the MGC with the service number 116164 but as yet I cannot establish a link.

It may well be a pre 1908 "Worcestershire [b]Imperial [/b] Yeomanry" Helmet when this type of headgear was worn IIRC

The Worcestershire Yeomanry completed thye change from Helmets to Busbies in 1870.

The helmet worn in your photo does not appear to match that worn by the Regiment.

Photo attached from The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914 Part 11 - Worcestershire Yeomanry.

Dave

post-128-1270491893.jpg

I am trying to identify the man in this photograph which was taken in Pershore, Worcestershire in 1910. If I can identify the uniform it should be much easier. Is it a cavalry or a yeomanry uniform?

I thought yeomanry were cavalry albeit of the volunteer variety

It seems that Yeomanry regiments were divided into three broad catergories namely Lancers, Hussars and Dragoons. The helmet worn in the photograph is of the type worn by dragoons. The Worcestershire Yeomanry were hussars.

Coming back to the geography, the nearest yeomanry regiments of the dragoon variety to Worcestershire are the Shropshire Yeomanry and the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry.

Alan,

thank you for the link. I am pretty sure that we are on the right track. I wonder if the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry or perhaps the Shropshire Yeomanry hels their annual camp in Pershore in 1910.