Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battn. Royal Welch Fusiliers

Beselare

I am helping a friend to locate the exact trench where his great-uncle was killed. The soldier is Pte. George Atkinson, 10th Battn. RWF

k.i.a. 26 September 1917. I believe it was somewhere near the centre of Zonnebeke which is very close to where I live but I am not sure. Can anyone please help?

Many thanks

Bob Findley

Beselare

Belgium

Bob

If you PM me your email I will send you the printed War Diary for the date. George is shown as one of at least 36 Missing during the 3 days of the Battle of Polygon Wood. Not sure how easy it would be to identify the exact trench.

Hywyn

He was also on the wounded list for 26th of April 1917 whilst holding the line just west of Monchy. I'll send you that as well.

I see that his medal cards indicate a post 1915 entry overseas but his Records have survived. Assuming that your friend knows his movements whilst overseas and that they are with the 10th then he might want to consider splashing out 3.50 for the actual War Diary to see what else George was involved in?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=9

Hywyn

Bob

If you PM me your email I will send you the printed War Diary for the date. George is shown as one of at least 36 Missing during the 3 days of the Battle of Polygon Wood. Not sure how easy it would be to identify the exact trench.

Hywyn

Dear Hywyn

Many thanks for your offer to help. My e-mail address is:

motcom@aol.com

Bob