Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infomation on pte john stewart buried in IraqO

ander11

I am trying to find any information on my great grandfather his name is john stewart from the dalkeith area in midlothian, i also know his name is on the memorial at dalkeith. my father said he was in the black watch and died in iraq,and also buried there.My dad's sister said she did not know what regiment he was in,there was not very much said about him because it was my grandmother's father.

So I started looking for him and this what I found.I have attach a file,now I have to find links to my grandmother- Ester Stewart married name Anderson. my cousin is trying to find my grandmothers birth certificate and this should give his date of birth which I dont have. does anyone know where I should look next.

Ian Anderson

post-54476-1270452539.jpg

Hello Ian

Welcome to the Board.

John arrived in France on 8th June 1915 as part of a reinforcement draft for the 2nd Battalion Black Watch.

The deployment of the 2nd Battalion as per the LLT was:

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Bareilly, India. Part of the Bareilly Brigade in Meerut Division.

21 September 1914 : Moved to France, landing at Marseilles on 12 October 1914.

26 September 1915 : amalgamated after heavy casualties with 1/4th Bn, which resumed its former identity in November 1915.

December 1915 : Moved to Mesopotamia, landing at Basra on 31 December 1915. Formation was by now renamed 21st Brigade, 7th Indian Division.

4 February 1916 : owing to heavy casualties, formed the Highland Battalion with 1st Bn, the Seaforth Highlanders.

12 July 1916 : resumed former title.

January 1918 : moved to Palestine, arriving Suez 13 January 1918.

The War Diary will provide you with detailed information.

Regards

Mel

Ian,

Some details from CWGC:

Name: STEWART

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 22/06/1916

Service No: S/7730

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. G. 8.

Cemetery: AMARA WAR CEMETERY

According to his MIC, John was entitled to the 1914-15 Star trio after entering France on 08 June 1915. It also mentions that he died of wounds on the date listed.

Cheers Andy. :poppy:

Ian

War Diary information:

Jan to Mar 1916 as 2nd BW = WO95/5138.

Apr to Jun 1916 as Highland Battalion = WO95/5137.

Jul 1916 to Dec 1917 as 2nd BW = WO95/5138.

Sotonmate

Hello Ian

Welcome to the Board.

John arrived in France on 8th June 1915 as part of a reinforcement draft for the 2nd Battalion Black Watch.

The deployment of the 2nd Battalion as per the LLT was:

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Bareilly, India. Part of the Bareilly Brigade in Meerut Division.

21 September 1914 : Moved to France, landing at Marseilles on 12 October 1914.

26 September 1915 : amalgamated after heavy casualties with 1/4th Bn, which resumed its former identity in November 1915.

December 1915 : Moved to Mesopotamia, landing at Basra on 31 December 1915. Formation was by now renamed 21st Brigade, 7th Indian Division.

4 February 1916 : owing to heavy casualties, formed the Highland Battalion with 1st Bn, the Seaforth Highlanders.

12 July 1916 : resumed former title.

January 1918 : moved to Palestine, arriving Suez 13 January 1918.

The War Diary will provide you with detailed information.

Regards

Mel

Hi mel, its Ianander here,many thanks but I didnt expect help so quickly.and thank you for letting me onto your forums many thanks Ianander

Ian

War Diary information:

Jan to Mar 1916 as 2nd BW = WO95/5138.

Apr to Jun 1916 as Highland Battalion = WO95/5137.

Jul 1916 to Dec 1917 as 2nd BW = WO95/5138.

Sotonmate

Hello sotonmate, thank you for the information and it came so fast.I couldn't believe it. Now I am nearer to find out more about my great grandfather. Many thanks Ianander

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I am just along the road from Dalkeith in Newtongrange, I could have a look at the Dalkeith Advertiser's archive the next time I am the Local Studies library. I haven't came across John Stewart whilst searching, then again my main interest was the Parish of Newbattle, but he may well be mentioned.

John

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I am just along the road from Dalkeith in Newtongrange, I could have a look at the Dalkeith Advertiser's archive the next time I am the Local Studies library. I haven't came across John Stewart whilst searching, then again my main interest was the Parish of Newbattle, but he may well be mentioned.

John

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum.

John

Thanks for your help john. I know my ggrandfather is on dalkeith memorial fromthe web site.but I dont know if 2nd batt blackwatch is with his name or the date he died on it either.my grandmother name is ester byers stewart and her married name is anderson and her d.o.b is 23/05/1906

Many thanks ianander from march,cambridgeshire

Im sure he will have a mention on the Scottish National War Memorial site.

thanks 'izzy' I look at that web site and I could only get his name.I need to find that the black watch and the date he died to link with his daughter my best regards ianander

I had a look at the LS Library today ,but it was very busy and I couldn't concentrate as someone else was asking me constant questions. :rolleyes:

However as you say he is on the Dalkeith Memorial in the Kings Parks, no unit is given but the year of death is 1916. I have had a quick trawl through the rolls of men who enlisted from Dalekith and envirions, without success yet, that said not everybody bothered to get thier names put on the list, none of my family did.

John

post-12171-1270577360.jpg

I had a look at the LS Library today ,but it was very busy and I couldn't concentrate as someone else was asking me constant questions. :rolleyes:

However as you say he is on the Dalkeith Memorial in the Kings Parks, no unit is given but the year of death is 1916. I have had a quick trawl through the rolls of men who enlisted from Dalekith and envirions, without success yet, that said not everybody bothered to get thier names put on the list, none of my family did.

John

:thumbsup: Nice picture John where did you find it or did you take the picture yourself I couldn't ask for better picture for the story of our lost soldier john.

I have not been to scotland since last year,but I will stop at dalkeith on the way to Fife just see for myself the next I come from Cambridgeshire.

Thanks for all your help John best reguards Ian

post-12171-1270577360.jpg

Hello Mel,Andy,Sotonmate,John and Izzy For all the help from all you guys, great job and what a web site. The pleasure you give everyone who needs help.

The good news is , I was talking to my auntie and she said her sister before she died had all the documents from my grandparents. She said that there was only one picture was taken of john stewart and he was wearing his army uniform. her daughter took them and put them in the attic. So I am waiting to hear. If she has it will post it on site Many thanks for all your help Ian Anderson :thumbsup: