Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald McKinnon Anderson missing medals

steviechelle

Hi my great Uncle Donald McKinnon Anderson who served with the 1/7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and died as a POW in 1918 gained the 1945/1915 Star, the Victory Medal which I have in my possession. However he also had the British War Medal but no one in family has it. Can a copy or replica be ordered?

According to Rugh Diamond another forum user the ribbon on my 1914 Star is actually that of the British War medal ie blue outer then navy then white then gold. Does anyone know what the 1914 star ribbon should actually be like and if copies of things like that be obtained?

Many thanks

Steven

Replicas of medals can be obtained from a number of suppliers, some are exceptionally good, others look a bit tinny. I am sure someone could recommend a good supplier. Here is what my the medals look like

WW1 medals

John

Thanks for that John the Victory Medal is the right one and is intact. Sure enough the 1914-15 Star has the wrong ribbon it is the ribbon for the British War Medal which I do not have. Not sure whether a copy would feel right somehow just wondered if MOD or something like that could provide a replica but thanks for the link and the help

Steven

Stevie this is from the "Paraphenalia of War" forum and the "Medals" sub forum on here, with a few recommended dealers for you to look at, unfortunately the MOD take nothing to do with WW1 medals. The best recommendations I would suggest would come from forum members and that's what's in the link.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=144128

Your best option maybe to find a dealer for the War Medal and get them to put new ribbons on all 3 for you so they look uniform.

All the best

Sam

Thanks as always Sam not sure whether a copy would be the right option but certainly replacing a ribbon would tidy them up a bit.

Since we last spoke I received a reply at the weekend from the ICRC after almost a year and although there wasn't loads of information it did state that he was captured on 23/3/1918 in Beaumetz and also that he was detained in Parchim i/Meckl and then died in Denain Communal Hospital. Another forum member (Doug) thought that Parchim would have just been a registration camp and probably would not have been held there but it was great to receive the letter from the ICRC and a certified copy of a letter in German confirming his death.

It kind of finalises everything and not sure where I can go from here but have found so much.

Regards

Steven

A suggestion; as a Collector who has a number of groups that are missing various Stars,Medals; I; when displaying a group opt for a full folded length of Ribbon {ie:as if the medal is suspended from it} placed in the group to fill the "gap" & the entitlement,without compromising the integrity of the Group.

HB.