Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

With the clues in this article I reckon we can find

museumtom

Here is an article written in December 1914. I reckon this place is findable with the clues below, what do you think?

I cannot find the nurse mentioned in it though.

Soldiers Burial Place.

“Died in Hospital.”

How the Fallen heroes are laid to Rest.

December20.

For have they not died for country and kin? This morning they were laid to rest, brave fellows, in God’s acre on the summit of the hill rising near the cathedral—a white-sepulchred pinnacle in the centre of an amphitheatre of rolling hills, with a segment of sea stretching away beyond.

The sun shining bright—the first time for many days—in a radiantly blue sky, lighted on a melancholy scene. No gun-carriage here, with Union Jack o’erlaid, and the measured tread of martial mourners following the bier to the graveside. Just two coffins side by side in a deep trench awaiting the burial place, a small bunch of hite flowers resting on one side. One is a private of the Dublin Fusiliers, the other corporal of the 2nd Essex. A Catholic chaplain comes, his robes revealing as he walks the khaki beneath. Follows a firing party, who form up on each side of the trench, rifles reversed, heads down.

Quietly sobbing, there is the corporals young widow, with her a motherly woman who has lost a soldier son. Behind stand reverently the grave-diggers, two or three French people, and the writer. Sonorously in the clear air rings out the priest’s appeal to the Almighty. He finishes, and the soldiers present arms. At once his place is taken by a Church of England priest, not the Chief Caplain, Dr Gwynn, Bishop of Kartum, for he has just left for the front.

Never have the beautiful simple words of the burial service sounded more impressive, more poignantly in the writer’s ears, “The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away.” Once more the poor widow was shaken with sobs, for these last rites were for her beloved husband.

A pause—and then the melancholy-sweet calenza of the “Last Post” trumpeting the triumph of these fallen warriors gone to their Valhalla. The men in khaki again present arms, about turn, and depart. No salvo. It is out of place here. An orderly stifles the lugubrious howling of someone’s little dog. The clergyman goes to comfort the weeping women. The clouds fell.

Day by day has this sad scene been enacted, sometimes 30 burials at a time. Over a thousand British soldiers brought back from the field to die in the base hospitals are interred here. One day, a tall obelisk will be erected giving the names of these victims. Twenty seven officers leave teir graves here, including a colonel of the 1st Middlesex, There are just small wooden crosses with numbers as an indication at present. Crude temporary crosses with names, have been put up in memory of two captains and a lieutenant. Here and there are a few wreaths of immortelles.

In the officers section lies a nurse of the Red Cross, named Ethel Fearney. She also was given the soldiers funeral described above.

Fifty yards away may be seen a small forest of little wooden crosses-only a small patch of ground—the Germans sepulchre. Thirty-three of them have died in the hospitals, including a captain and three lieutenants, and they were given the same honours and rites as our own men.

In a day or two there will be a new grave in the British officers section—a young lieutenant who passed away yesterday before his mother could reach him. He died as a soldier would. Was it not Carlyle who asked, “What better could a man than die in the service of his country.”

Well done Chris, with your clue I was able to find the nurse, her name is Farnley and not Fearney as spelled in the article. I was hoping she was Irish but it does not seem so.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

We now know the cemetery and that a corporal from the 2nd Essex was buried in BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY c20-30/12/1914, lets see if we can find him and the other lad. Didnt work, only found a Cox who as not buried in that cemetery, onwards we go..

here goes.

Bingo, our man is Herbert Jones and his mother and wifes name is on the cwgc. Lets suppose the Dublin Fusiliers lad died on the same day, 19-12-14, onwards

Bingo!! Edward Leahy is our man. Died the day before Corporal Herbert Jones .

I love it when a plan comes together

Regards.

Tom.

I enjoyed that.

Thanks Armagh.

Regards.

Tom.

The whole of Julian Grenfell's family visited him in Boulonge hospital before his death and burial in this cemetery. Died 26th May 1915.

As for officers sections one could say there is a distinct 'patch' in Ypres Town Cemetery.

Chris

Well done Chris, with your clue I was able to find the nurse, her name is Farnley and not Fearney as spelled in the article. I was hoping she was Irish but it does not seem so.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom, What evidence have you that she was called Farnley? I have only ever seen her as Fearnley. Jim

Jim she is listed in the article as Ethel Fearney and in the CWGC as Ethel Fearnley.

Regards.

Tom.

Jim she is listed in the article as Ethel Fearney and in the CWGC as Ethel Fearnley.

Regards.

Tom.

Ah, a typo on your part. to show Farnley. And in the article which shows Fearny.

'In the officers section lies a nurse of the Red Cross, named Ethel Fearney. '

It is not a typo on my part, that's what she is listed as in the newspaper, Fearney, not Fearnley, Farnley or Fearny.

Regards.

Tom.