Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 45948 John Bell South Wales Borderers

Hett65

The above man died of wounds (gas) in Salonika on 28.9.1918 and is buried in Mikra British Cemetery, Kalamaria, Greece. Can anyone tell me where exactly the regiment were fighting at this time or have a war diary for around that date.

Thanks

John

The SWB had two battalions in Salonika: the 7th (67th bde, 22nd Division) and the 8th (65th Bde, also 22nd Division). I see from the CWGC that your chap was in the 7th.

The battalion was involved, at the time, in the final offensive in the region. On the 17th September (according to the regimental history), the battalion had suffered a heavy gas bombardment while forming-up for an attack on the following day. Nearly 30 casualties were recorded (they were on the southern slopes of Tortoise Hill).

The attack on the 18th was not successful: the battalion attacked over rocky and dusty ground, with a lot of wire and some precipitous slopes. Opposition was heavy, and darkness didn't help. They also out-ran their support, and Greek troops assisting seem to have disappeared.

Eventaully, the remnants of the battalion (about 50 men) ended up back in their own trenches. Of the 50, half had to be evacuated due to gas poisoning.

The attack was so spirited that the battalion was awarded the Croix de Guerre (the only British battalion in Salonika so honoured, apparently), and the CO won a VC. Additionally, a DSO, 3 MCs, three DCMs and six MMs were awarded.

The battalion (what was left) held the line until the 20th, when the Bulgarian front collapsed. From the 20th, both the 7th and 8th SWB were involved in the pursuit, until the 26th when they went into Rest. On the 30th, the Bulgarians surrendered, and the 22nd Division never came up against the Turks, so effectively the 26th September marks the end of the war for the 7th and 8th SWB.

I'd guess your man was gassed in the offensive of the 17th/18th and died later.

Steven

Thanks for the information on when Bell would have been gassed, I can now add this to his histroy.

John