Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brentwood School

john w.

In the same chapel there are memorials to Old Boys who fell in WW1,WW2, and the Boer war..

see below... are there other examples like this?

John

post-19-1085091801.jpg

John,

Tonbridge School, Kent has plaques in its chapel for the Boer War, WW1 and WW2.

I'm not sure if they are originals or reproductions, as the chapel burned down in 1988 (I had nothing to do with it-promise! :D ), but they might have been rescued. I can't remember if they list regiments as well.

Haileybury seems to have similar plaques, and I think I recall Eton, Harrow and Wellington having them as well. It's probably a safe assumption that most public schools have them.

As for Grammar Schools, I know Skinners and Judd in the Tunbridge Wells/Tonbridge area has WW1 & 2 memorials. Not sure about Boer War though.

Regards,

Matthew

In Bury Grammar School's Roger Kay Hall there are three separate memorials to boys who died in the Boer and Metabele Wars (5 names), the First World War (97) and the Second World War (46). There is also a splendid bronze relief memorial to Lt. Walter Rice Olivey who was killed defending the flag of the 60th Foot at the disastrous Battle of Maiwand in 1879. The Hall is now actually part of the Girls' School, but replicas of the First and Second World War Memorials were made for the Boys' School Hall across the road by kind donation of the Brunskill family. Sergeant Edgar Brunskill, Manchester Regt. is named on the First World War memorial.

I've researched the names of all the boys on the three memorials (and Olivey). If you want any further info, let me know. Ironically one of them was kiled at Spion Kop coming to the rescue of another who died of enteric fever in the siege of Ladysmith.

John

Just curious - the daughter goes to Brentwood. I've always admired the soldier complete with SMLE in the stained glass window at the end of the chapel. Are you connected or 'just passing'. :rolleyes:

Regards

Andy

PS Did you see the cross of remeberence in the courtyard at the back of the school

Andy

My two lads went there, left last year.

I am researching one of the Old Boys as he lived in Stock.

Mark

If you have researched all the old boys at Brentwood, are they online?

John

John. sorry not Brentwood-I meant the Bury Grammar School memorials, where I teach. Don't know anything about Brentwood, I'm afraid. Slightly crossed wires-I thought you were replying to my post which immediately precedes yours on the topic listing.

John,

With regard to the Brentwood plaque, you can probably look up the individuals in the PRO, both the medal rolls and their service records should be kept there. Unfortunately, the medal rolls for the QSA/KSA haven't been fully digitized yet but anybody in the artillery or Guards is on cd.

If you still have access to the Times database you might be able to find references to them- I've downloaded as many of the casualty lists I could find so they should be mentioned there. It's going to be a very time consuming project to sort those out!

Matthew