Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing Capt Brooke Southwell Greville,Kings Messenger.

thebaron

Trying to trace the Military records of a Capt Brooke Southwell Greville b1855 d1948,he later became a Kings Messenger.

He served in Africa and came back to London during 1913/14 residing in London and Revells Hall,Bengeo,Herts.

I would like to also trace and contact his family.

Contact 07818-063543.

Hi - think this is your man:-

Name: Brooke Southwell Algernon Faulke Greville

Regiment or Corps: 1st/4 PAV Rajputs, 16th Rajputs

and here's a link to his MIC available for you to download from the National Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=2615232

Hopefully you'll be able to find some service records for him.

thebaron

There doesn't seem to be a service record for this man in either WO339 or WO374 at Kew Archives,unless he served after 1921 in which case his record is not in the public area yet.

Maybe he has something in the Indian Army records,which aren't at Kew.

Sotonmate

Hi - think this is your man:-

Name: Brooke Southwell Algernon Faulke Greville

Regiment or Corps: 1st/4 PAV Rajputs, 16th Rajputs

and here's a link to his MIC available for you to download from the National Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=2615232

Hopefully you'll be able to find some service records for him.

Thankyou for your reply,it would be interesting to find out any history about this chap as I heard from his Great Grandson Historian Christopher Fulke-Greville that Capt Brooke Southwell Fulke Greville was at the seige of Mafeking and it was him along with his sergeant who cut the guy ropes to some barrels allowing them to roll down into the enemy dug in below,allowing the British soldiers to get out.

Its also been indicated he was awarded by favour throu battle the son of the beaten Zulu Chief to be Grevilles servant,and when Brooke Southwell Greville died in the 1950s the Zulu Chief came back to England collected Greville and took his body back to Pietermaritzburg,interesting.

His Father was also well known Maj Southwell Greville.

Could I ask you to verify please, whether the man we are talking about is actually BASF Greville, as mentioned by Verrico? I say this as there is also a Captain Brooke Southwell Greville, in the Army List (Command and Staff) from 12 November 1914 as an Assistant Embarkation Office. If I had to make a decision, I would say the latter is your man, based on age. He appears in the London Gazette variously as Reserve of Officers and Special List. You will need to search the appropriate Army Lists for the pre-WW1 campaigns to verify his regiment or corps at that time and also check the appropriate medal rolls.

His papers are at the British Library it appears, as per my reply to the Colonel Guy Greville post

TR

Could I ask you to verify please, whether the man we are talking about is actually BASF Greville, as mentioned by Verrico? I say this as there is also a Captain Brooke Southwell Greville, in the Army List (Command and Staff) from 12 November 1914 as an Assistant Embarkation Office. If I had to make a decision, I would say the latter is your man, based on age. He appears in the London Gazette variously as Reserve of Officers and Special List. You will need to search the appropriate Army Lists for the pre-WW1 campaigns to verify his regiment or corps at that time and also check the appropriate medal rolls.

His papers are at the British Library it appears, as per my reply to the Colonel Guy Greville post

TR

Thankyou for your help Terry and Verrico.

Captain Brooke Southwell Greville b 1855 is BASF and was a Kings Messenger.

From what I can gather he returned to England from Africa in 1913/4 and worked in the War Office with many of his relatives.

Being a Kings Mesenger must have come with some adventure because the enemy tried to assasinate him,they shot and wounded him in Egypt,I dont know if this was during the War.

It has also been said he was the only British Officer to carry a Silver pistol with him,is that usual.

Would the records office have any of his personal details regarding his movements to,during and after the war and if he had interests in private sector business would he have to have declared these interests.

Clearly you have a source or sources of information that none of us here have access to. You will have to go to the British Library and have a look at the records I have quoted.

TR