Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Captain Guy Elliot Harcourt

thebaron

Trying to trace a Captain Guy Elliot Harcourt b1869,Ankerwycke Priory,Bucks.

Was Capt 7th Battalion,Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry,served in South Africa War 1899-1902,WW1 1914-1918 as Captain in the R.A.A.C.

Would like to locate his family who have interests in England,Australia,South Africa,Canada and America.

Please contact 07818-063543,

Edited by thebaron
e-mail amended for user's security

Hi

Is this your man?

Cheers

Atnomis

harcourt.jpg

Thanks for reply,it looks like him and the address is a match.

I wonder what the address is C/O,Strand,I cant make it out.

It would be good to trace any of his cousins that served in the Military during WW1,there are indications he was related to the Ascroft and Greville families.

Here he is in 1911 with his family:

HARCOURT, Guy Elliot Head Married 1870 Private Means St Helen Jersey

HARCOURT, Helen Maynet Wife Married 8 years 1880 Crowborough Sussex

HARCOURT, Guy Chandor Son 1904 Hayling Island Hants

HARCOURT, George Simon Son 1905 Fareham Hants

Living at Wraysbury House, Long Coppice Lane, Emsworth, Hampshire

The Co, looks to be "Tyler and Co" - there is a loss adjuster firm of that name still in London, could be the same.

Grant

Could this be his sons marriage in the Times (a late marriage, though!)

Nov 28 1957 Marriage will take place at Staines 12 Dec between Guy Chandos Harcourt, 46 rue Pergolese, Paris (XV1), son of the late Guy Elliot Harcourt, formerly of Ankerwycke Priory, Wraysbury and of Mrs Harcourt and Mary Felice Thwaites, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs AJD Thwaites of 9 Audley Ave, Gillingham.

In 1911 a Mary Ellen ABBOTT, born in India, aged 49 was living there as a housekeeper for a Private officer, She was "not a widower", had been married for 31 years and had 6 children, all off whom had died.

Grant

In 1911 a Mary Ellen ABBOTT, born in India, aged 49 was living there as a housekeeper for a Private officer, She was "not a widower", had been married for 31 years and had 6 children, all off whom had died.

Grant

Thankyou Chaps.

Capt Guy Ellot Harcourt came from his Father George Simon Harcourts first marriage to a Jesse Rolls but there was a second marriage to a Charlotte Lucas and they had a son named Otto Simon Henry Harcourt.

This chap Otto Simon had sons who are believed to have been in the Army,its these sons,cousins to Guy Elliot who are very interesting in military history but I cant find them.

• 7 months later...

QUOTE (Grantowi @ Apr 3 2010, 06:00 PM) In 1911 a Mary Ellen ABBOTT, born in India, aged 49 was living there as a housekeeper for a Private officer, She was "not a widower", had been married for 31 years and had 6 children, all off whom had died.

Grant

Thankyou Chaps.

Capt Guy Ellot Harcourt came from his Father George Simon Harcourts first marriage to a Jesse Rolls but there was a second marriage to a Charlotte Lucas and they had a son named Otto Simon Henry Harcourt.

This chap Otto Simon had sons who are believed to have been in the Army,its these sons,cousins to Guy Elliot who are very interesting in military history but I cant find them.

Hello Baron

Interested to see your Harcourt comments and other material elsehere, if I interpret them correctly, Guy Elliott was born in Jersey 1869 to John SC Harcourt and Harriet EE Harcourt (nee Plumridge)

Guy had an older sister Evelyn May who was born in Natal, S Africa 1868, and a younger one, Gertrude Jessie Rolls born 1873 (possibly also in Jersey).

The family was in Jersey in 1871, but in Wimborne in 1881.

However, you may be interested in another Harcourt who enlisted in the AIF on 2 Sept 1914 giving his age as 21, being born in St Helier, Jersey, and his mother being called Averyl (this later appearing to change to Marjorie).

The man's name was Vernon Harcourt, and his service number was 142. He received an MiD and an MSM.

I dont know if it is a help.

Kind Regards

Barrie Bertram

The Baron,

The Captain has a service file at Kew under WO339/19111.

Sotonmate