Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Soldier Charles Walmer Ascroft

thebaron

Who is able to locate any information regarding a Charles Walmer Ascroft born abt 1895,served in Army Service Corps,Reg No T4/253152,Cat No WO 372/1 1914-1920.

I am also interested to locate any of his family.

Places of interest where Charles Walmer Ascroft had family are Australia,South Africa,England,Canada and America.

Contact [email=07818-063543.

Charles has two MIC's on Ancestry, one for the award of a MSM for service in East Africa. Gazette date of 07/02/1919. The other shows that he was entitled to the pair.

That's about it, no Service or Pension records that I could find.

Cheers Andy.

Hi

Hope this helps

Cheers

Atnomis

ascroft2.jpg

ascroft.jpg

Thanks for reply.

Does this indicate he was alive in 1919 and does it indicate his death on one of the pages with red stamps,what does it mean d5/11/55 in black ink and the content of the red boxes.

I would like to trace this chap as its been indicated he may be another soldier Charles Walmer Harcourt and only used the name of Ascroft to inherit assets from his mothers family,owners of the African Gold Mines at Blaauwbank.

Is there any type of record that could verify who his father was,who he married and where he lived pre WW1 and after the War to his death,I cant find him at all.

The only record I can find is a Charles Walmer Ascroft marrying a Cecil Violet Enid Greville in 1912 @ Pietermaritzburg,Africa

Thanks

Chris.

Charles has two MIC's on Ancestry, one for the award of a MSM for service in East Africa. Gazette date of 07/02/1919. The other shows that he was entitled to the pair.

That's about it, no Service or Pension records that I could find.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks Andy

There is an answer following this,showing medal cards.

In the card it gives hand written dates and red boxes,does this indicate a possible date of death and where.

I would have thought that Charles Walmer Ascroft would have drawn a pension somewhere.

Regards

Chris.

Does this indicate he was alive in 1919

He was gazetted in 1919 - I have come across one where the entry related to an action in which the medal recipient died, but I can't find anything on SDGW to indicate he was a casualty. Looks more to me as though he went on to serve in WW2 and possibly that's a note of his eventual death in November 1955, but there could be another explanation.