Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

daniel fraser gord highlanders

veklee

hi can anyone find this boy on sold died or cwgc ?

his mic says daniel fraser 1 gord h 7466

date entry 14.9 14

DOW ? 25 .10 .14

thanks

barry

Barry,

According to the CWGC Debt of Honour there are 7 from the Battalion to fall on this day.

FENTON J 482 2ND BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

HENDERSON A 5447 2ND BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

LEGGAT J 1445 1ST BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

MCKAY M 3/5613 1ST BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

PHILLIPS J 7828 2ND BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

SIMPSON A 1097 1ST BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

WALKER RE 8904 1ST BN 25/10/1914 GORDON HIGHLANDERS

There is a Daniel Fraser from the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders who SDGW have as falling on 12 Oct 1914 and his service number was 9108.

Cheers Andy.

Here're the details on that one:

Soldiers Died: Part 65

Fraser, Daniel. B. Abbotshall, Fifeshire. E. Kirkaldy. 9108 Sgt., KIA F & F 12/10/14

CWGC:

Name: FRASER

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 12/10/1914

Service No: 9108

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 18.

Cemetery: VIEILLE-CHAPELLE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, LACOUTURE

Barry,

Some more for you. I would say that the two Daniel Fraser's are two different people. Their MIC's have different dates of entry, different ranks, different service numbers and their medal rolls are different. There are service records available for the Daniel Fraser on SDGW also on Ancestry.

You may be onto a possible non-com here. I would suggest sending Terry Denham a PM if he doesn't see the thread and ask him about it.

He is not on the CWGC Debt of Honour or on SDGW. A death certificate would be able to confirm.

Cheers Andy.

There is only one Daniel Fraser recorded on the War Returns for 1914

1 1914 FRASER DANIEL M 30 SERVICE AND WAR RETURNS /MINOR RECORDS 117/AF 0018 No Image ORDER

The only other Daniel Fraser who's death was recorded in Scotland that year was a 72 year old man from Glasgow.

John

Edit and one one man recorded on the Scottish National War Memorial as well, the chap with the service number 9108.

hi john /andy

as said the papers there are for 9108 daniel fraser from 1903? same number

am i reading the mic wrong ? there is D OF W 25/10/14

now this is not duration of war ? i dont think, just seems strange ,shame cant put mic here so it can be looked at ,

date entry is 14/9/14

so is this daniel not a casualty ? and they mixed em up ? would seem strange

thought please

thank again barry

Daniel Fraser 9108 is the same man who joined in 1903. He re-enlisted in 1908 and was due to come out again in 1915 but was KIA.

There is a Fraser - 7466 - but he was in the HLI and named Harry, wounded in November 1914 (on a casualty list 9/1/1915) and eventually killed 1917.

I can't see a Gordon H called Fraser (or Frazer) with that number in any of the casualty lists of the period - only the other one - 9108.

It wouldn't be the first MiC that contained incorrect details of men with the same name.

Good luck with the search. Hope you can resolve it.

Carolyn

How confusing is this?

There could be a possible non-com here, or it could be a case of mistaken identity, or just another double up. It may also be a case of somebody mistakenly marking the wrong MIC with the D of W 25/10/14.

Barry you are the one doing the research, so I think you may be able to put the MIC on the forum. You haven't asked anybody to get it for you, you just have some questions about it.

Cheers Andy.

Looks like another date under and to the side of the D.O.W.25.10.14. looks like 25/10/52 but would that late a date be on a MIC.? or have I lost the plot. :wacko: and now starting to see things.

Gary

this is the mic for daniel fraser as suggested this is for my own research and is not a request for copies, ( feel free to delete as reqired )

post-3576-1270284393.jpg

I still think if you could get a copy of the death certificates for both of the Daniel Fraser's it would answer quite a few questions.

It would confirm the date of death for 7466,

confirm that they are two different soldiers,

confirm or deny that 7466 died during the war or of injuries directly related,

confirm that he actually exists.

I also think they are two different soldiers, it's just whether the D of W was supposed to be written on that particular MIC?

Cheers Andy.

Looks like another date under and to the side of the D.O.W.25.10.14. looks like 25/10/52 but would that late a date be on a MIC.? or have I lost the plot. :wacko: and now starting to see things.

Gary

I've seen those from time to time on MICs, Gary - not sure what it's for but don't think it's anything to worry about!

Louise

Louise/Dundeesown

These annotations, in this case 25/10/52, are often seen on MIC's and it is speculated relate to the date when enquiries were made regarding the soldiers medal entitlement.

Donny