Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1917 Territorials joining the EEF

ddycher

All

Am trying to determine if the territorial battalions who joined the EEF from India in 1917 left depots behind in India or whether they embarked en-masse. I have found numerous ref's to battalions who went to Mesopotamia leaving depots in India but have not as yet located a single ref for the TF battalions joining the EEF having done so. Trying to track down the activities of the TF depots in India is proving to be a difficult if fascinating challenge.

Would really appreciate any insight.

Regards

Dave

• 1 month later...

YES in the case of the 5th Buffs, they were sent to Mespot from India as the Indian 35th Brigade. I think this practice was widespread. On the outbreak of war lots of regular battalions serving in the Indian Army were withdrawn (and then sent to the Western Front) and replaced by Territorial Force battalions comprising men who had volunteered to serve overseas for the duration of war. These TF units in India were then used to re-enforce British units in Mespot. The Tigris Corps was quickly put together using Indian and British units and sent to rescue that idiot Maj Gen Townshend who had got himself holed up in Kut.

My own interest in this being 5th Buffs which were primarily an Ashford (Kent) based battalion.

Thanks Neil

I can find Indian depots for TF battalions who embarked for Mesopotamia - like your experience with the 5th Buffs in my own studies the 4th Devons did. But I still cant find a depot for a TF battalion who embarked for the EEF (Egypt / Palestine rather than Mesopotamia) having left a depot behind in India.

Still hunting for that missing link.

Regards

Dave