Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wound stripes on osd shoulder rank jacket?

dutchbarge

Hello,

I've been wondering what is the correct positioning for wound stripes worn on osd shoulder rank, lancer cuff jackets. I've got one in my collection which has the wound stripe positioned immediately above the upper most point of the lancer cuff. This seems to be in line with the Army directive to officers with cuff rank jackets to place the wound stripe "immediately above the upper point of the flap on the cuff" (The upper most point of the lancer cuff is in relatively the same position as the upper point of the flap on a cuff rank jacket). While I know that subsequent stripes would be positioned on either side of the first stripe (at 1/2" intervals), to which side would the second stripe be added, left or right?

Has anyone seen examples of osd jackets with a Russian braid stripe worn side by side with a gilt metal stripe? (I've got one).

Lastly, most of the osd jackets I've seen (admittedly only a tiny slice of what's out there), seem to favor Russian braid over gilt metal wound stripes. Is my experience in line with what others have seen, or were GM stripes fairly common on osd jackets?

Cheers, Bill

• 1 year later...

Hi Bill,

I have three OSD jackets all have GM wound stripes. 2 Cuff Ranked 1 Shoulder rank just post WW1. As far as I can tell the badges are contemporary and in one case it was a direct family purchase.

regards

Mark

Hello,

I've been wondering what is the correct positioning for wound stripes worn on osd shoulder rank, lancer cuff jackets. I've got one in my collection which has the wound stripe positioned immediately above the upper most point of the lancer cuff. This seems to be in line with the Army directive to officers with cuff rank jackets to place the wound stripe "immediately above the upper point of the flap on the cuff" (The upper most point of the lancer cuff is in relatively the same position as the upper point of the flap on a cuff rank jacket). While I know that subsequent stripes would be positioned on either side of the first stripe (at 1/2" intervals), to which side would the second stripe be added, left or right?

Has anyone seen examples of osd jackets with a Russian braid stripe worn side by side with a gilt metal stripe? (I've got one).

Lastly, most of the osd jackets I've seen (admittedly only a tiny slice of what's out there), seem to favor Russian braid over gilt metal wound stripes. Is my experience in line with what others have seen, or were GM stripes fairly common on osd jackets?

Cheers, Bill

Hello,

Cheers, Bill

The description you give and the rationale behind it is accurate Bill and I have seen many officer portraits with the badges so positioned.

One of the most famous that comes to mind was Brigadier General Adrian Carton De-Wiart: http://en.wikipedia....Carton_de_Wiart You can see the stripes on his left sleeve (positioned above the lancer cuff).

post-599-0-94710000-1319300339.jpg