Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4Bn Royal West Kent Regt near Gaza April 1917

WHC Dennis

Hello, I am trying to source copies of photographs or advice to online access/collections of the same for this unit. My Gt. Gt. Grandfather Sgt. John Lipscombe served in this unit, firstly at Suvla and later in mid March/April 1917 at the 2nd assault of Gaza, where he was KIA.

Sadly the extended family has no photographs of John or his unit either at Suvla or Palestine.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Andre

Have you tried the Regimental History for the battalionb service at Suvla and subsequently Gaza?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Have you tried the Regimental History for the battalionb service at Suvla and subsequently Gaza?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hello Jonathan, thanks for the reply. Sorry do you mean Regt. History at the is it Maidstone Museum or MOD? Not familiar with the battalion service? Where is that, please tell me more?

cheers

Andre

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hello again, Jonathan, do you mean the regt history written covering the unit 1914-18, i think published in the 1970's, which I have not read, although seen for sale on line?

cheers

Andre

Hi Andre,

Yes I meant the Regt history for 1914-1918. It was actually published around 1924 - the version you have seen is, I think, the N&M Press reprint.

Some of the War Diary may be available for download from National Archives. If so I should have it - but its on a different computer to that that I am currently using.

Regards,

Jonathan S