Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war service record

milford_lass

hi

my grandad was in the first world war and stayed in the army after would i be able to obtain his service record please???

ty shirl

Hi Ty shirl

If he stayed in after 1920 his records have not yet been released to the public and will be stored at the MoD in Glasgow. They are available to proven next of kin on payment of a fee I think of £30.00.

If you post his name and other details it is possible other help may be available on the Forum.

Peridot

Shirl

Soldiers who served since 1921 have records at this address:

Historical Disclosures,MP555,

Army Personnel Centre,

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

GLASGOW.

G2 8EX

You will probably have to prove your relationship to your Grandad before they give you any information.

Sotonmate

Edit: forgot , a website too !

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_record...ce_records.html

31/12/1920?, 31/12/1921?

My grandad served until at least October 1921 but his service record does not seem to be in Glasgow (or at least that's what they told me!).

I have never seen a definitive date as to what went to the National Archives and what the army retain. Does anyone know were some of the earlier 1920s records also destroyed in the Blitz?

Mark

Shirl

Soldiers who served since 1921 have records at this address:

Historical Disclosures,MP555,

Army Personnel Centre,

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

GLASGOW.

G2 8EX

You will probably have to prove your relationship to your Grandad before they give you any information.

Sotonmate

Edit: forgot , a website too !

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_record...ce_records.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you for your information,

his name was THOMAS LLEWELYN JONES he was born in 1892 at clydach station, not sure what regiment he was in but i have a picture of him and my nanny with their first child, they had 14 children my dad was 9th from eldest poor nanny bless her, tho his hat under his arm looks like captain's hat

ty shirl

Mark

The NA give out a "business card" for the APC Glasgow,with the definitive dates :

"Army Officers since 1922 and Soldiers since 1921-but before 1996"

They gave me one a few months back when I enquired about Officer record file numbers with a P prefix,and I'm looking at it now !

Sotonmate

Hi Ty shirl

If I'm not mistaken, Peridot, 'Ty' is not part of Shirl's name - it's an abbreviation of 'thank you' ... :D

his name was THOMAS LLEWELYN JONES he was born in 1892 at clydach station, not sure what regiment he was in but i have a picture of him and my nanny with their first child, they had 14 children my dad was 9th from eldest poor nanny bless her, tho his hat under his arm looks like captain's hat

ty shirl

Shirl

If you have a photo of him in uniform, post it and it may help identify his unit, in addition, if the child is a Baby and was born whilst he served, the Baby's Birth Cert may give his unit under "occupation of Father", it'd do the same for subsequent children until he left the Army.

Sam

49fb8b82-d984-4bf9-9581-0d6aeec5d044-0.j

Shirl

If you have a photo of him in uniform, post it and it may help identify his unit, in addition, if the child is a Baby and was born whilst he served, the Baby's Birth Cert may give his unit under "occupation of Father", it'd do the same for subsequent children until he left the Army.

Sam

SORRY IF PICTURE IS TOO BIG HERE IS MY GRANDAD

TY SHIRL

It's a Royal Welsh Fusiliers badge Shirl.

SteveJ.

It's a Royal Welsh Fusiliers badge Shirl.

SteveJ.

steve does the cap make him captain or still a private??

steve does the cap make him captain or still a private??

A Private Shirl. They all had the soft caps to wear, and the uniform is not an officers, but an enlisted mans.

SteveJ.

There are a few possibles listed in the medal rolls. Has anyone in the family got his medals - they would have his service number around the edge? Otherwise as mentioned earlier you might need to check birth certificates or local papers to identify him positively. Obviously not all of those possibles in the medal rolls would have remained in service, so you may be able to exclude any whose records have survived and who left the army before the cut off date, as well as those who died during the war.

Keith

There are a few possibles listed in the medal rolls. Has anyone in the family got his medals - they would have his service number around the edge? Otherwise as mentioned earlier you might need to check birth certificates or local papers to identify him positively. Obviously not all of those possibles in the medal rolls would have remained in service, so you may be able to exclude any whose records have survived and who left the army before the cut off date, as well as those who died during the war.

Keith

no mention of medals keith but, his son's medals were buried with my nanny, maybe grandfers are buried with him, i suppose then without his service number, i wont find them their picture was taken in 1916

ty

shirl

ty steve

Shirl

Don't give up yet. If you have that birth cert for the child who might have been born while he was in the army that might help

If you don't have an account with Ancestry, your local main reference library probably does have.

If you search the medal rolls, and list all the possible candidates - probably 20 plus

Then view their index cards, still using Ancestry _ some have info like date of death, and can be eliminated

then check Ancestry, or preferably FindmyPast if your library has a free service to eliminate ALL who died in service (search in Soldiers Died in the Great war)

By now you will have eliminated quite a few.

Check to see if any of the possibles DO have service records or pension records on Ancestry - eliminate a couple more

Take a rest.

It really depends how many candidates you have left at this stage.

Sometimes local newspapers have reports of local men joining up, or a frequently updated Roll of Honour listing men who served from that area.

If you can get to Kew, or reduce the list to a small number, there might be information in the medal rolls against the possibles. I'm not sure how much, because I am still a novice compared to many on the forum.

The other key thing, is memory - does your parent have any memories of mention of places where your gf served? these might be compared to the Long Long Trail which helps to identify where each battalion played its part.

there is lots of information out there, it just takes patience and determination. At the end of the line you may have the answer, or not, but you will certainly have learned a great deal, and its addictive.

Keith

There's also the regimental museum, but you probably need to narrow things down before involving them as they now charge for dealing with enquiries.

Hi Milford lass I notice his boots are drivers boots with spurs I think, and he is wearing a lanyard ,which from my research suggests horse connection like Regimental supplies etc. ASC ,RE, and RFA men seemed to be wearing these as Horse Drivers. May help your cause. Other pals might know more about this aspect.

Regards Freeform

Hi Milford lass I notice his boots are drivers boots with spurs I think, and he is wearing a lanyard ,which from my research suggests horse connection like Regimental supplies etc. ASC ,RE, and RFA men seemed to be wearing these as Horse Drivers. May help your cause. Other pals might know more about this aspect.

Regards Freeform

good morning

on his wedding cert i recieved says he was a private in the 21st brecknock's :o)

shirl

There is a Thomas Llewellyn Jones living at 2, Church Street, Narberth in 1918. Did your Grandfather live there, or stay at Clydach? (A bit of a long shot I know, but if he was the Narberth man, he is listed in the Absent Voters list as Tyne Electrical Engineers, number 365760)

The cap badge is definitely Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He may have enlisted into the Brecknocks, or been demobilised with them though. They had battalion Drivers, so this may explain the shoes and spurs.

SteveJ.

There is a Thomas Llewellyn Jones living at 2, Church Street, Narberth in 1918. Did your Grandfather live there, or stay at Clydach? (A bit of a long shot I know, but if he was the Narberth man, he is listed in the Absent Voters list as Tyne Electrical Engineers, number 365760)

The cap badge is definitely Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He may have enlisted into the Brecknocks, or been demobilised with them though. They had battalion Drivers, so this may explain the shoes and spurs.

SteveJ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi steve

my grandfer was born at clydach station a house on clydach station, the picture i was kindly given by brecon library says clydach station facing towards bryn mawr.

The Brecknocks were part of the South Wales Borderers, and it may be that the reference was to the 2/1st Battalion (see the Long Long Trail), which was a territorial unit.

Edit The 2/1 was a home service battalion, so its very likely that they sent regular drafts of men for service overseas, and some could easily have been posted to other units.

Keith

The Brecknocks were part of the South Wales Borderers, and it may be that the reference was to the 2/1st Battalion (see the Long Long Trail), which was a territorial unit.

Edit The 2/1 was a home service battalion, so its very likely that they sent regular drafts of men for service overseas, and some could easily have been posted to other units.

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ty keith

was the swb the same as welsh fusilier's ?? i went on ancestry last night and i found a thomas jones from monmouth said he was discharged after so many day's because they didnt think he wud a efficeint soldier, but my grandfer was a soldier for a few year's. the war was on when the picture was taken, so perhaps he just did his 4-5 year's i know he wasn't wounded, so its best i look for his record is there anywere on the group there cud be a address

kind regards

shirl

Take a look on the Long Long Trail, link LLT is at top of the page and gives you access to lists of all regiments in the British army in WW1.

Its worth spending a bit of time there - lots of good information.

Keith

Take a look on the Long Long Trail, link LLT is at top of the page and gives you access to lists of all regiments in the British army in WW1.

Keith

Keith

ok thank you happy easter see u in a few weeks lol with the answer