Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire&Yorkshire Railwaymen

MartinThwaite

Hi Members,

Reading another topic re GWR casualties has prompted this question!! My great uncle Patrick Tarmey of Barrowford,Nelson, Lancs was a Lancashire railwayman prior to enlisting - he is named on the Victoria Station Memorial in Manchester and now on the Nelson & Brierfield Memorials. As with the GWR are there any photos of Lancashire Railwaymen killed/died of Wounds? He was a Sapper with the Railway Operating Div RE when he died in Dec 1916 (see my signature).

Much obliged for any help.

Cheers,

Martin :D

I'm sure the answer will be that there must be. The railways were a large employer of men before the War, as well as being of vital importance during it.

As to how to find out, perhaps the best place would be contacting the RMT Union (unfortunately NOT the best time right now, although they may have time to spare soon) perhaps locally? Many were probably used in rail operations in France, but I'm sure there were plenty of stokers too!

Other Pals will probably be along shortly with better ideas!

Had a look on the lancashire and yorkshire railway society web site and found this statement :

Genealogy

The Society gets many many requests for information from genealogists looking for information about ex L&Y employees.

Unfortunately few personnel records have survived to this day. It appears that most of the original L&Y staff records were destroyed when the company became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway in the grouping of 1923, and the details transferred to the LMS records.

However, a few records did survive:

a locomotive drivers and firemen register for part of Yorkshire,

pay lists of office staff from a variety of departments at the company’s HQ at Manchester Victoria,

a Roll of Honour of company staff (listing their job and place of work) who enlisted up to the end of 1915 during the First World War, and

another roll which lists those who lost their lives,

all of which are in the National Archive in London.

Hope this is of some use,

regards,

John.

PS. Forgot to add there is a downloadable version of the roll of honour on this link :

http://www.lyrs.org.uk/genealogy/rollofhonour.html

Martin...have you got his obituary? If anywhere, it'll be at Nelson Library. They've also got several rolls of honour (though the most interesting one ('the Nelson & Colne Times War Album') only goes up to 1915). He doesn't (at first glance) appear in the 'Greater Burnley Roll of Honour' (which also includes Barrowford/Nelson men), but this is, even by the publisher's own admittance, incomplete. I'll see if he appears in the original (handwritten) draft though.

Dave

I'll see if he appears in the original (handwritten) draft though.

He doesn't.

dave