Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Francis Fellows 13991, 21st Bty, 2nd Btn RFA

taylov

I purchased this man's medals, a 1914 trio (with clasp) and his MSM recently. Dvr. Fellows 13991 went to France in September 1914. He served with 21st and 28th Bty of the 2nd Brigade of the RFA. There are no service or pension records that I can find.

A clue to his fate came from the MIC which had a note to state he was deceased, but without a date. However, he does not appear in the list of "Soldiers who died in the War (1914 -1919". Then I found an entry in the CWGC lists for the Aldershot Military Cemetery. He died on 31 August 1920, age 38.

Despite the relatively late date of his death, he does have a CWGC grave so I am guessing that he must have died from wounds in England. I am unfamiliar with the marking of official gravestones. Would his stone make mention of the fact that he had died of wounds?

His MSM entry in the LG states he was from Stockton on Tees, and just one John Fellows born circa 1883/84 appears in Stockton in the 1891 census. He lived at 9 Malakoff Street, Stockton.

Has anyone investigated any other "late" CWGC burials at Aldershot ?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

The dates for commemoration by the CWGC is 4th August 1914 to 31st August 1921.

The following is from the IFCP site.

The location of their death and the cause of death are immaterial to their qualification. They could have been killed in action, died of wounds, died of illness or by accident, died due to suicide or homicide or suffered judicial execution. CWGC treats all casualties equally and all must be commemorated under the terms of their Royal Charter.

Personnel who had been discharged from or retired from the military before their deaths during the same qualifying periods of an injury or illness caused by or exacerbated by their service during the same qualifying period. These cases qualify only if it is PROVEN to the authorities' satisfaction that death was service attributable.

His headstone would not state that he died of wounds, but, as above it could be the case, or died of illness, either of which was attributable to his service.

To get the official correct answer as to how he died, you can get a hold of his death certificate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Andy.

Tony,

The dates for commemoration by the CWGC is 4th August 1914 to 31st August 1921......His headstone would not state that he died of wounds, but, as above it could be the case, or died of illness, either of which was attributable to his service. To get the official correct answer as to how he died, you can get a hold of his death certificate. Cheers Andy.

Andy, thanks.

I'll definitely apply for a copy of his death certificate.

However, the CWGC dates that you quote lead me to another question.

Would his family have been sent a WW1 Memorial Plaque after his death in 1920 or did different qualifying dates apply to the issue of these?

Tony

Tony,

The family should have been sent the Memorial Plaque and Scroll. As for the qualifying date for these, I'm not 100% sure, however, I believe there are instances of Memorial Plaques being issued to NOK for a death in 1924.

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for the information. I applied to the Aldershot Registrar and the death certificate for John Fellows arrived this morning. It seems to leave much unanswered.

John Fellows died in Connaught Hospital, Farnborough, Hants on 31 August 1920. He was still recorded as a soldier in the R.F.A - Driver RFA No. 13991 of 3A Married Quarters, South Minden Barracks, Tin Huts, Deepcut. His wife, Margaret was present at his death.

Now it gets interesting. The causes of death are stated to be - (1) Ulcer of Stomach. (2) Peritonitis for 8 days. I take this to mean that his ulcer "burst" and infection set in. No antibiotics in 1920.

To my eye this looks like he died from complications from his ulcer. Why then does he have a CWGC grave ? 90 years on, we recognise a stomach ulcer to be associated with intense stress and might well classify his death as being service related. But in 1920 ?

Anyone come across similar treatment of a deceased soldier ?

Tony

Tony

He died in service within the dates described u[thread. Cause of death was immaterial.There are countless thousands of 1918 flu victims on CWGC. See the pinned thread in Non Commemorations subforum which is in the Cemeteries forum I believe and which Andy quotes in post 2 above.

Hywyn

Tony

I'm likely to be in Aldershot at some stage during the weekend; if the weather is reasonable and I get the opportunity I'll see if I can find Fellows' grave and take some photos. The fact that he's included in the CWGC records doesn't necessarily mean a CWGC headstone, and private headstones aren't, unfortunately, always in good condition.

NigelS

Hywyn, many thanks for the clarification. This is the first such case I've come across.

Nigel, thanks for the offer. As long as it won't inconvenience you to do so, I would be grateful.

The grave number is given as R 368 on the CWGC lists for Aldershot Military Cemetery.

Tony

• 4 months later...

Today, 31 August 2010, is the 90th anniversary of the death of John Fellows.

We decided to drive up to Aldershot and visit the Military Cemetery and leave a wreath and card on his grave. A beautiful day and I thought I should share a photo.

post-43036-098748500 1283261981.jpg

Tony