Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Medical Service

havergal

Good morning, everyone.

After a good deal of 'googling', I have finally established a little background for the above-mentioned man. According to his (1960) obituary in the British Medical Journal, it would appear that his Great War service was as an entomologist with the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force, this following on neatly from his pre-war studies into tropical diseases in India.

I wonder, could anyone let me know whether there is a reference to Major Patton and his work in any printed reference source? (I am thinking particularly of the book "Roll of the Indian Medical Service 1615 -1930" which, I believe, is available as a reprint from the Naval and Military Press).

To say the least, it has been a little frustrating that most references to WSP's work are available only via subscription to an array of weird and wonderful medical journals, but I think the snippets I have accumulated on the journey have been worth it. How many veterans, for example, could claim the naming of a fly in their honour?! (simulium pattoni - 1906) According to the London Gazette, Major Patton was awarded the Order of the White Eagle 4th Class (with swords) in early 1917, but I cannot find any record of the 'mention in dispatches' referred to in the BMJ obituary.

To explain, I have been looking into the Major since he appears on the roll of honour in Stoke St Gregory, Somerset by dint of marriage to the local vicar's daughter in Bombay Cathedral in 1906.

I look forward to hearing from Forum Members with any 'nuggets' they can locate.

Best wishes,

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

Walter is mentioned on Ancestry in the section on UK Medical Registers, from 1903 to 1959. These records mentions that he graduated from Edinburgh University in 1901. Walter could therefore be mentioned in the Edinburgh University Roll of Honour. Perhaps a Forum member who has this could do a look up.

Regards,

Alf McM

Sorry to promote this query back up the batting order, but does anyone have access to "Roll of the Indian Medical Service 1615 -1930"?

I suspect Major Patton will be included, even if only briefly ....

As Alf mentioned, it is possible he is listed in the Edinburgh University roll too.

Many thanks for looking,

Gareth

Thanks for the links!

I have one MIC via Ancestry, but I'm not sure which of these two it is! I have an MIC which covers the award of the Victory/British medals/15 Star and the London Gazette supplement which includes the Order of the White Eagle.

To add to the story, below is a brief excerpt from the BMJ obituary (1960). This includes the only reference I have to WSP's wartime service, but certainly makes one realise the number of (perhaps unexpected) disciplines needed to keep an army safely and healthily in the field in more unfavourable climes:

During the first world war he served as entomologist with the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force and was mentioned in dispatches.

After the war he worked as director of the Pasteur Institute, Southern India, until 1921, when he came back to Britain and was appointed lecturer in medical entomology and parasitology at the University of Edinburgh, being elected a Fellow of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh.

In 1925 he went to North China in charge of the Royal Society's Kala-azar Commission. On his return he was appointed professor of entomology at the University of Liverpool and held this chair until ill-health forced him to retire in 1937. On his retirement he was appointed emeritus professor and was awarded the Mary Kingsley medal by the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.

SS

If you want to see his service record I believe it can be found at the British Library,where papers for British Officers of the Indian Medical Service are kept.

Sotonmate

Patton, Walter Scott. b. 7 Oct 1976. M.B. Ch.B. Ed. 1901. Lt. 26 July 1902. Capt. 26 July 1905. Major, 26 July 1914. R. 2 August 1921. Lecturer on Medl. Entomolgy, Ed. Univ. 1921. Prof of Medl. Entomology Liverpool, 1926.

Serbia, White Eagle, 4th Class, Feb. 1917. Aden 1903-04, operations in the interior. War of 1914-21; Desp. L.G. 19 Oct. 1916. White Eagle. Author (with F.W. Cragg) of Textbook of Medical Entomology, 1914; (with A.M. Evans), insects, Ticks, Mites and Venomous Animals of Medical and Veterinary Importance, 1929. Articles in Scientific Memoirs,

"Roll of the Indian Medical Service 1615 -1930"

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies - just what I needed after an exciting day at work!

If there were so few awards of the Order of the White Eagle, does the Supplement to this particular London Gazette (15 February 1917) contain all of them, and if so, does anyone know why? (Walter Scott Patton's award is half-way down in the right column):

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/299...upplements/1615

Thanks again,

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...

Have you looked in the Mediacal Register and Medical Directory for the period?