Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the IJzer 1914 - 1918

Dikke Bertha

Hello

I have just come back from a visit to the IJzerfrontroute in West Flanders. Certainly worth the trip but bring the car. You can get a step by step guide book in the In Flanders Field Museum.

First stop was Dixmude which was totally destroyed but re-built after the war. Along the same style as Ypres only smaller. The IJzertor (Yser Tower) is 84 metres high and has a fabulous view over the area together with a panorama showing what the view would have been like during WWI. There are 22 floors each with a small museum and over half of them dedicated to WWI. There is also a re-constructed British tunnel complex which is fantastic. You can also smell samples of Chlorine gas (yuk!) and mustard gas (yukker!). Took me over two hours to see everything. Well worth the trip.

On down the road to the "trench of death" which is some preserved Belgian trenches along the river together with a very nice museum.

Along the route there are monuments and plaques and in Nieuwpoort you can see the sluices which were opened to flood the land between the Dixmude - Nieuwpoort railway line. The extent of the flooding is well illustrated in the IJzertor.

Did not have time to see everything in one day as had to get back to Ypres before the Shell Hole bookshop closed.

Overall the trip to Dixmude is highly recommendedand is only 21 kilometres from Ypres the next time you are there.

Regards

Dikke Tour Guide

I'd recommend the Yser Tower, and the trenches of death.

Also visited Vladslo, which is worth a visit.

Haven't seen anything else though in this area, but am hoping to pay a visit here later this year

Hello Stevew

If you are planning another visit than I would recommend a guide booklet produced by the Westhoek Tourist Board called "Yzer Front" which sets out a route to be followed by car. It is very good and well worth 2.50 euro. It is available in the "In Flanders Field" Museum or in the Yser Tower.

Make sure you pick a sunny day!

Regards

• 3 months later...

I am writing from The Aero Conservancy from Mclean, Virginia, where we have the partial wreckage of an Albatros D.V. which we believe was shot down October 22, 1917, and crashed at 'Ferme De Ceuninck' behind the allied lines at Dixmude. Research has lead us to 'Ceinck Farm' shown on British trench map 20NW4 of the area, just south of the Niewpoort-Dixmude railroad embankment. This farm around 1,000 yards west of the Ijzer Tower. Do you have any photos either from during the war or present day of the area west of the tower? These would be incredibly helpful to our research.

Charles Gosse

http://www.aeroconservancy.com

I can tell you this lads: The Belgian sector is also very interesting. And don't forget there were Brits stationed there too (Nieuport).

I alway try to visit that sector too if i guide tourists. It is a forgotten piece of the western front. But i am convinced it is worth a visit. :rolleyes:

Charles,

I made a flight over this area and i.i.r.c. also photographed the landscape 360 degrees from the top of the IJzertoren. I will have a look tonight to see if the right area was photographed.

Regards,

Marco

There is a big farm, next to the railroad +- 750 m west from the Yser tower. That must be it i think...

Was at the Trenches of Death last week - wish I'd had more time there. The owners have done a superb job there

All The Best

Chris

The owners have done a superb job there

All The Best

Chris

That is the Belgian army now.

I discovered something: i am almost 80% for sure that the De Ceuninck family still lives in that farm!, i need to check it out, but looking to the map, housenumbers and the telephone books it all seems to match!

Dikke.. and others, would this trip take about a day and half if done properly. Sounds interesting, and always wondered if it was worth the time.

Charles... Where are you in McLean? I live in Falls Church.

Andy

Dikke.. and others, would this trip take about a day and half if done properly. Sounds interesting, and always wondered if it was worth the time.

Charles... Where are you in McLean? I live in Falls Church.

Andy

That is possible. 2 days would be better but 1 1/2 is ok too.

If you need a guide to show you the sites + give some info. You know how to find me... ;)

Marco:

Thanks very much, I would really like to see the photos. Who is i.i.r.c.? who you said also might have photos?

Andigger,

Right off of the route 123 end of Kirby. Maybe we meet up some time.

BKristof,

I would appreciate any information you have on the De Ceuninck farm, the address, phone number, photos, whatever.

Charley

Hello Charles,

See below for the ones taken from the tower. I.i.r.c. is the lawyer in me speaking: If I Recall Correctly.... :D

West??

forum42.jpg

Or, euh west?

forum43.jpg

Appologies for the spots, I need to clean my scanner...

Regards,

Marco