Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two uniform questions

Tartan_Terrier

Right troops,

Sorry if these have been asked before, but I have a couple of questions after seeing some photos in a book I've just finished (Danskere på Vestfronten 1914-1918 http://www.g.dk/bog/danskere-paa-vestfront...9788702081039#).

There is an photo of some tanks in a ruined village, and two soldiers appear to be wearing black or very dark uniforms and caps. Apart from the colour they look very similar to the standard service dress uniforms. I know that tank crews in WW2 had black coveralls, but were black uniforms used in WW1 too? Or were their SD perhaps dyed to hide oil stains?

My next question is about about the Service Dress issued to kilted regiments during WW1. I've seen quite a few photos where troops are wearing the normal SD jackets, rather than the cutaway style usually associated with Scottish troops. How common was this? Was it purely due to supply issues at the front that these were used, or would this have been seen at home as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

T_T

Right troops,

My next question is about about the Service Dress issued to kilted regiments during WW1. I've seen quite a few photos where troops are wearing the normal SD jackets, rather than the cutaway style usually associated with Scottish troops. How common was this? Was it purely due to supply issues at the front that these were used, or would this have been seen at home as well?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

T_T

The short answer is very common and yes it was seen at home too. I have dozens of photos of kilted Scots in unmodified SD jackets, including a prized one of my Great-Grandfather during the time he was stationed at Bedford in 1914/5, but also including ones taken in theatre.

I believe I am correct in saying that for O/Rs, a separate highland cut was not issued until later patterns (1922?) and that standard SD jackets without the cutaway front were modified by unit/regimental tailors, obvioulsy there was not always time for this when the army was expanding rapidly. (Perhaps Joe Sweeney or someone else can confirm or deny this).

In addition - sartorially - perhaps with the absence of sporrans (left at home by kilted units)- the cutaway was less needed.

I have a number of photos where soldiers are wearing unmodified tunics but have folded them back for the photo to create the effect.

Chris

Hi,

As Chris has pointed out a 'cut-away' pattern of Service Dress was not issued until the 1920s. Prior to this SD jackets were modified by unit tailors. During the war it was recognised that this was wasteful and a General Routine Order prohibiting this modification was issued in the early part of 1915. It seems in some cases the order was ignored, but most units adopted the standard pattern of jacket. There are many photos of these at the front as well as in home service units.

Many Regiments got around the order by temporarily stitching the corners of the tunic back so as to give the same effect without any cutting of the material ie a permanent modification.

I have had several such jackets, the aesthetics of the end result depending largely on the neatness or ingenuity of the tailor doing the work!

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Tocemma

Tank Corps soldiers wore ordinary SD; in the first actions they wore blue overalls but this practice was soon abandoned when they were confused with German troops (and were short at!)

Later they wore brown overalls; hwoever the heat inm the tank often meant that some wore only shorts and shorts.

As far as I aware they did not wear black uniforms in the Great War

(but i could be wrong)

Stephen

hi guys this is the uniform i have in my collection

and if any experts could tell me about the two purple slides on the epaulettes i would be great full

of any help and i hope it helps in this thread

yours davey

post-49709-1270063722.jpg

Hi Davey,

Nice uniform. Do you have any further info on who it belonged to? Did the hat and mask come with the tunic? Would welcome some closer photos if possible.

As to the coloured flash this indicated the battalion in which the individual belonged to. Not sure of purple but red over purple was the 12th battalion. You sure the original not faded?

Tanks3

Hi Davey,

Nice uniform. Do you have any further info on who it belonged to? Did the hat and mask come with the tunic? Would welcome some closer photos if possible.

As to the coloured flash this indicated the battalion in which the individual belonged to. Not sure of purple but red over purple was the 12th battalion. You sure the original not faded?

Tanks3

Hey tanks the uniform belonged to an eddie menice started of in North Irish Horse and as you are proably aware became a tank regiment in ww2

number 996 and 77146 mgc and tc

yes all came from same guy his father served in ww1

and after the exhibition and i have it out of the case i will take close ups for you no bother

from what i can see just on large purple band no red in sight

hope this helps

Davey

The purple patch indicates Central Tank Worksohops (these were at Erin & Teneur west of St.Pol)

Mike

thank you mike greatly appreciated

davey

Davey,

Look forward to that. In case you didn't have it here is a copy of Menice's MIC. His papers are on line. Did you know?

Tanks3

post-1873-1270152825.jpg

Davey,

Look forward to that. In case you didn't have it here is a copy of Menice's MIC. His papers are on line. Did you know?

Tanks3

Cheers Tanks

also I can confirm that this jacket has been shortened and professionally i would most certainly say by a military tailor at the time I hope this answers a question

yours davey