Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

m i d

gerard

Can anyone advise me if the emblems or m.i. d. is always recorded on an individuals medal index card.also can a group of soldiers from the same battalion whom fought together in a particular operation or attack be awarded emblems or m.i. d.I have a page from the medal rolls for the british and victory medals for the 23rd london regiment and the left hand colum is ticked for clasps awarded.Does this mean the men were awarded an emblem to the victory or is it simply a mistake as there is no mention of emblems on any of the 7 soldiers from the 23 london regiment on their individual medal index cards?thanking yiu in advance.gerard

No not all are put on the MIC ,as with all records mistakes are made ,and the emblems writing could be missing generally they are obviously recorded but not gospel

MC

I have a page from the medal rolls for the british and victory medals for the 23rd london regiment and the left hand colum is ticked for clasps awarded.Does this mean the men were awarded an emblem to the victory

Gerard

I suspect what you're seeing is 'tick' placed against each name for administrative purposes on the Medal Roll and actually has no bearing to the column it is placed in.

The LLT has an example of a Medal Roll here..... http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/medals.htm which has similar ticks, albeit in another column. I'm sure I've got examples of Medal Rolls (at home) where the 'tick' is further over to the right, in the area you're suggesting.

The Medal Rolls, certainly on the ones I've looked at, make no mention of MID emblems awarded. They were, after all, for administering the actual medals themselves and not the 'gallantry' awards.

Regards

Steve

Hi all

Does it refer to a clasp for the 14-15 star? I have seen MIC's where the star is on another MIC.

regards

Robert

Gerard

I suspect what you're seeing is 'tick' placed against each name for administrative purposes on the Medal Roll and actually has no bearing to the column it is placed in.

The LLT has an example of a Medal Roll here..... http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/medals.htm which has similar ticks, albeit in another column. I'm sure I've got examples of Medal Rolls (at home) where the 'tick' is further over to the right, in the area you're suggesting.

The Medal Rolls, certainly on the ones I've looked at, make no mention of MID emblems awarded. They were, after all, for administering the actual medals themselves and not the 'gallantry' awards.

Regards

Steve

I thank you for your reply.I think your right here,the tick is more to do with with administration of some sort,maybe simply to imply that each individual soldier has been accredited with the correct medal entitlement.thanks.GERARD

Could you post the MIC?

Steve

I will scan it and send it to you soon.thanks gerard

No not all are put on the MIC ,as with all records mistakes are made ,and the emblems writing could be missing generally they are obviously recorded but not gospel

MC

thanks,I think it may be a simple admin procedure.the medal rolls for the british and victory medal does contain a section for clasps but i think it is only a copy of the same roll that was used for the 1914 star where clasps could be awarded.thanks gerard

Hi all

Does it refer to a clasp for the 14-15 star? I have seen MIC's where the star is on another MIC.

regards

Robert

no the tick is only on the roll for the briitsh and victory medal.I think it may be a simple admin error.thanks gerard