Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn ESSEX Regt

verdun

Would anyone be able to send me digital copies of the 1/Essex War Diary from July 1-3rd and November 17-21st 1916, please? E-mail to: enfield@mail2world.com

(Alternatively, I did see somehere on the Forum that this diary is available online - but I can't find where. Can anyone supply a web link?) Many thanks if you can help. Peter

1st Essex up 1st July

24th-30th June

Bombardment of German trenches commenced and continued necessarily day and night together with discharges of smoke and gas.

29th/30th A party of 30 men and Lt Russell, 2nd Lt Warner and 2nd Lt Morison raided the German trenches opposite May Redan. They got into the trenches, killed one German and bombed a dugout. The whole party got back into their own trenches after remaining in German trench for 20 minutes.

List of officers who took part in the attack on July 1st 1916

Lt Col A C Halahan Lt F F Cooke 2nd Lt A P Chawner

Capt F C Dinan 2nd Lt W R Cheshire 2nd Lt C P Lawson

Capt A D Henderson 2nd Lt R B Horwood 2nd Lt G A Apps

Capt G A M Paxton 2nd Lt E T H Hill 2nd Lt M C W Kortright

Capt T A C Brabazon 2nd Lt H A Jackson 2nd Lt A Grant

Capt A N W Powell 2nd Lt A J Morison 2nd Lt B Hull

Lt H A Harvey 2nd Lt B O Warner 2nd Lt F R Wheatley

Lt R E G Carolin 2nd Lt W J McLean 2nd Lt J T Broomfield

MO Capt F Saunders 2nd Lt A Coucher (Battle Police)

Other ranks strength 840

1st July 1916

3.30 a.m. Took up position in St John’s Road as follows: W Company’s right on French Trench, Z, Y and X. X Company’s left being on Uxbridge Road. Men much fatigued by long time (9p.m. 30th-3.30 a.m. 1st July) it had taken to get into position and heavy equipment carried.

6.0 a.m. Intense artillery bombardment commenced.

7.20 a.m. Mine exploded under Hawthorne Redoubt.

7.30 a.m. 86th and 87th Brigade left our 1st line trenches to assault their objective. Heavy artillery and machine gun fire and difficulty of getting through our own wire caused these Brigades very heavy losses. Very few men survived long enough to enable them to reach half way across No Man’s Land.

8.40 a.m. Orders received cancelling our previous objective and ordering the Essex and Newfoundlands to advance and clear the German 1st line trenches. Worcs and Hants remaining in reserve.

Newfoundlands were ordered to advance to the attack from their positions in St John’s Road. Essex owing to ground between St John’s Road and our front line being under heavy fire were ordered to advance via communication trenches and take up a position in our front line from which to commence the assault. Essex and Newfoundland Regts to advance to the assault independently as soon as they were ready.

8.45 a.m. Orders issued to companies to take up the following positions: Y Company with its right on point 100 yards north of Mary Redan. X Company to prolong to the left. W and Z Companies being in support trenches. Newfoundland on the left were seen to advance from ST John’s Road and immediately came under very heavy artillery and machine gun fire which practically wiped them out before they had gone many yards beyond our front line.

10.50 a.m. Y Company reported that they were in front line in touch with W Company. Z Company had taken up a position between X and Y Companies owing to the congestion of the trenches due to being checked with wounded and badly damaged by shell fire it had taken Companies two hours to get into position. Orders issued to companies to attack. Companies came under heavy artillery and machine gun barrage immediately they appeared over the parapet causing heavy losses. Report received from OC X Company that our wire on his front was uncut, that further advance was impossible and that he had suffered heavy casualties. Z Company in centre was able to make better progress. One platoon under 2nd Lt Chawner getting about half way across No Man’s Land. W Company attempted to support but were unable to make progress.

11.10 a.m. Lt Skitt RFA attached learned from his group that a bombardment of the 1st German line was ordered from 11.10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Orders were immediately given to cease the attack and reorganise in St John’s Road but it was not possible to convey the message to Z Company.

11.30 a.m. Communication established with Brigade and orders received to renew the attack at 12.30 p.m.

11.55 a.m. Orders issued to Companies to reorganise for the renewal of attack at 12.30 p.m.

12.20 p.m. Message received from Brigade postponing the attack to 12.45 p.m. Brigade informed that owing to casualties and disorganisation it was impossible to renew the attack until we had had time to reorganise. Subsequent orders received cancelling the attack and ordering us to hold the line Mary Redan-New Trench-Regent Street. Getting in touch with the Worcs on our left and the 36th Division on the right and be prepared to repel counter attack. Battalion occupying above position with one company in support in St John’s Road.

3.30 p.m. Orders received that 7th Worcs were to relieve us in the firing line. Companies on relief were to go into St John’s Road.

10.30 p.m. Head of Worcs arrived at Knightsbridge and companies notified and ordered to move.

11.40 p.m. Relief cancelled and companies ordered to resume their previous positions.

Peter

Sorry haven't got the diaries, dont think the dates you are after are online, probably why I can't find them on my laptop :angry:

Can send some scans from burrows, fair bit for July, but hardly any mention during November, let me know if they may help.

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

Brilliant and many thanks! Would love to receive scans for July 1st and also anything you have - however vague - for Nov 17-21st. I'm researching a soldier who survived the attack on the first day, but who was KIA on Nov 20th. Am trying to piece together both ends of the story and what the battalion was actually doing after the offensive officially ended. Look forward to seeing what you can send me, and I'll email you back to confirm safe delivery. Thanks again, Peter

Peter

All sent, hope they prove useful

Glyn