Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Training Squadron

Guest Warburton

Guest Warburton

Hi - i'm sure someone out there will know the answer to this as i've had help with a similar topic before.

I need to know where the 13th Training Squadron was based during the war ? Particularly in 1918.

I think it may be England, but am not certain ?

Thankyou

warburton

Warburton,

not much I'm afraid, and somewhat confusing. My earlier offline information may have been misleading.

Originally 13 Reserve Aeroplane Squadron formed 27th December 1915 at Dover, became 13 Reserve Squadron on 13th January 1916, and then 13 Training Squadron on 31st May 1917.

Elements detached to become 49 Squadron and 99 Squadron during 1917.

Disbanded at Yatesbury on 15th July 1918 and merged with 66 Training Squadron to become 36 Training Depot Station.

Reformed as 13 Training Squadron (again) at Ternhill on 14th March 1919 by redesignating 13 training Depot Station. Disbanded March 1920 at Ternhill.

Just for completeness, 13 Training Depot Station had formed at Ternhill on 1st April 1918.

So.... 13 Training Squadron seems to have had two bites at the apple, in 1917/18 and 1919/20, the first one starting life at Dover and ending up at Yatesbury, the second incarnation based at Ternhill.

Mike

Guest Warburton

Thanks Mike - for some reason i never got the offline message - but this is really useful information for me.

Thanks

warburton