Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J.H. Lee

alexander1

Good Morning

I have downloaded the medical records for the above soilder. He was admited into the military hospital on 2 occasions. Once to the 2nd western front o the 11.09.17. Written on is record is gassed. shell burns to right thigh. he was discharged on the 31.01.18. Am i to understand that his thigh was burned from some liquid inside the gas shell? He was also admitted to a military hospital in Norwichon the 28.1.19 and his condition is abriviated i.g.t foot (l). Persume this is some kind of injury to his left foot. Can any open help.

Dargai

The IGT is likely to actually be ICT - inflammation of the connective tissue (lots of previous discussion here if you search for ICT).

The gas wound is likely to be due to mustard gas, which is an oily, viscous substance that burns the skin.

The IGT is likely to actually be ICT - inflammation of the connective tissue (lots of previous discussion here if you search for ICT).

The gas wound is likely to be due to mustard gas, which is an oily, viscous substance that burns the skin.

Many thanks for the information. i will look into the ICT link.

Dargai

Hi Chris

just a thought. Am i to belive that a piece of shrapnel has come into contact with his thigh or the oily substance has come out of the shell and burnt through his uniform and then burnt his skin.

Dargai

Good Morning

I have downloaded the medical records for the above soilder. He was admited into the military hospital on 2 occasions. Once to the 2nd western front o the 11.09.17. Written on is record is gassed. shell burns to right thigh. he was discharged on the 31.01.18. Am i to understand that his thigh was burned from some liquid inside the gas shell? He was also admitted to a military hospital in Norwichon the 28.1.19 and his condition is abriviated i.g.t foot (l). Persume this is some kind of injury to his left foot. Can any open help.

Dargai

I have not seen "shell burn" used as a synonym for mustard gas burns before. It may be that is the meaning, but I tend to bet that the injury reported as "shell burn" was just exactly that-- a Hot shell ejected from an artillery piece certainly has the ability to burn the skin, even through thin uniforms. Was this individual in the Artillery? Alternatively, it could have referred to a burn caused by a hot shell fragment-- not uncommon. Doc