Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers 8th Btn

kintyre51

Hi

I am trying to get more details of a man who could be my grandfather but can only find war records - no birth or census. His record at Edinburgh castle war memorial includes John Lambie, Died of wounds in the Balkans 20.9.18. Corporal 8th Btn. Reg. No. 200332 Born Kilmarnock. Scotlandspeople site has a John Lambie died in 1918 - the only John for that date - but no image - source Marine register??? Age 38 years. Medal roll - Corps 1/4, rank Bugler and then something I can't read, reg no - 1st one 7614 and then 200332. I checked Mr Duncans site and only found a pic with a soldier who looks like my father but that's a bit fanciful - so if anyone can help with any ideas or information, I would be really grateful. Thanks

You could try his will to see who his next of kin is , his will is in the Scottish National Archives, the reference number is SC70/8/1043/3. It is available to view for free in Edinburgh you will need to get a readers card, which needs two passport photos, or they will send you an image, I think it costs £10.

Full details

Repository National Archives of Scotland

Reference SC70/8/1043/3

Title Will of 200332 Corporal John Lambie, 8th Bn., Royal Scots Fusiliers, Cause of death: Died of Wounds, No 28 Casualty Clearing Station, Greece, Theatre: Balkans., 20 Sep 1918

Dates 25 Apr 1917

Access status Open

Access conditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document.

Description Formal will (Army Form W.3297). War Office refs: E/633164/1, 470/778922/18/19

It's a formal will so might have a bit more detail the AB64 pay book will.

John

Hi

I am trying to get more details of a man who could be my grandfather but can only find war records - no birth or census. His record at Edinburgh castle war memorial includes John Lambie, Died of wounds in the Balkans 20.9.18. Corporal 8th Btn. Reg. No. 200332 Born Kilmarnock. Scotlandspeople site has a John Lambie died in 1918 - the only John for that date - but no image - source Marine register??? Age 38 years. Medal roll - Corps 1/4, rank Bugler and then something I can't read, reg no - 1st one 7614 and then 200332. I checked Mr Duncans site and only found a pic with a soldier who looks like my father but that's a bit fanciful - so if anyone can help with any ideas or information, I would be really grateful. Thanks

Thats great. Thanks so much!

Hi Kintyre,could this be your Grandfather?

Born 15/6/1881 Kilmarnock

Father William General Labourer

Mother Janet nee Marshall

They were married in Kilmarnock 6/3/1863

Cheers Mike

You don't make reference to his CWGC entry (I know it doesn't have photos)

but might help others in tying some of the pieces together....

Name: LAMBIE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/09/1918

Service No: 200332

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Lambie, of 36, Inkerman Place, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 595.

Cemetery: KARASOULI MILITARY CEMETERY

Your reference to "Marine Register" may be connected to this family. Saltcoats is no' far from Kilmarnock, so may be related?

Name: LAMBIE

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text: 14th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/04/1917

Service No: 13802

Additional information: Son of John and Catherine Lambie, of 26, Manse St., Saltcoats, Ayrshire. His wife and two children were drowned through the sinking of the "Lusitania" on 7th May,1915.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. H. 6.

Cemetery: GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Hi

Hi

The reg number 200332 is a new 1/4th RSF which would tie in with the old 7614 number. 1/4th RSF was the 'local' RSF Btn for Kilmarnock and surrounding towns. Looks like John died of wounds after the attack on 19/9/1918 at Dorian in Salonika.

There is a few 8th Btn men with 1/4th numbers and it looks like John was transferred at some point to the 8th Btn. I'll dig about to see if I can get a bit more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

The reg number 200332 is a new 1/4th RSF which would tie in with the old 7614 number. 1/4th RSF was the 'local' RSF Btn for Kilmarnock and surrounding towns. Looks like John died of wounds after the attack on 19/9/1918 at Dorian in Salonika.

There is a few 8th Btn men with 1/4th numbers and it looks like John was transferred at some point to the 8th Btn. I'll dig about to see if I can get a bit more info.

THanks a lot. I don't know how I would have found all this without all of you!