Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Lambie

kintyre51

Hi

I am looking for a needle in a hay stack. My grandfather was - supposedly - killed in WW1 before he could marry my grandmother. Word of mouth is that his name was Lambie and owned? land in Scotland. Working on my fathers birth date, I calculated dates he could have died and obtained four possible Lambies from the war ememorial at Edin castle. I then checked records on scotlandspeople to match. Two were too young and of the other two - one does not seem to work as I cannot access an image but source is Marine register. Edin castle has him as Royal Socts Fusiliers, 8th battalion. Other details are: John Lambie, Born Kilmarnock. Died of wounds 20.09.18 in the (2b) Balkans (Works for 8th Btn) 1918 at 38 years making him 38. Regimental no 7614 and then 200332. Corps 1/4 Rank bgler (Bugler?) and then something I can't read. He was a corporal. 3 medals - victory, British, 15 Cross.

I can't find any birth or census details on him and don't know where to look next. Can anyone help with ideas? thanks

200332 was apparently 22 years old

Name: LAMBIE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/09/1918

Service No: 200332

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Lambie, of 36, Inkerman Place, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 595.

Cemetery: KARASOULI MILITARY CEMETERY

Some other candidates are here;

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.a...5&send.y=10

...and then something I can't read.

"A/Sgt." Ink matches the 200332 number, as do the BWM and VM (also confirmed by matching asterisks), while the 1915 Star goes with the earlier number.

Died of wounds 20.09.18 in the (2b) Balkans

The Balkans were the theatre where he first served and the date of entry therein was 6.6.15 - again, matching his 1915 Star.

Hi

I am looking for a needle in a hay stack. My grandfather was - supposedly - killed in WW1 before he could marry my grandmother. Word of mouth is that his name was Lambie and owned? land in Scotland. Working on my fathers birth date, I calculated dates he could have died and obtained four possible Lambies from the war ememorial at Edin castle. I then checked records on scotlandspeople to match. Two were too young and of the other two - one does not seem to work as I cannot access an image but source is Marine register. Edin castle has him as Royal Socts Fusiliers, 8th battalion. Other details are: John Lambie, Born Kilmarnock. Died of wounds 20.09.18 in the (2b) Balkans (Works for 8th Btn) 1918 at 38 years making him 38. Regimental no 7614 and then 200332. Corps 1/4 Rank bgler (Bugler?) and then something I can't read. He was a corporal. 3 medals - victory, British, 15 Cross.

I can't find any birth or census details on him and don't know where to look next. Can anyone help with ideas? thanks

Thank you so much! Now I can dig deeper!

Have you tried the Scotlandspeople website (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk): I'm not a subscriber and don't know if there's a charge but I tried the free search for "Lambie" and got this on an 1896-1918 search:-

Search Count

Census 1901 1201 matches

Statutory Register Births 1896 - 1918 776 matches

Statutory Register Marriages 1896 - 1918 210 matches

Statutory Register Deaths 1896 - 1918 532 matches

Catholic Parish Records Births & Baptisms 1896 - 1918 No exact matches

Wills & Testaments 1896 - 1901 16 matches

Arms & Heraldry 1896 - 1907 478 matches