Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David John Henry 14205 RWF and 489907 Lab Corps

richenry

Help needed, David John Henry was my grandfather, B.18.05.1894 at Llanelly, a CICR Attestation lists him as service number 14205, Unit 9th Royal Welsh Fusilers Comp A. Date and place of capture 30.05.1918 at Marne.the attestation gives details of three prison camps where he was held as a POW, and gives details of repatriation - arrived at Hull on 27.11.1918.

his MIC also shows that he was at some time transferred to the labour corps, serial number 489907.

He was demobbed on 12.03.1919.

From the research I have made it is possible that he may have started his service with the 11th RWF. This is based on his serial number 14205 which is apparently within a range of numbers issued to 11th battalion men. his date of embarkation in france was 5.9.15 which coincides with the arrival of the 11th. And family folklore suggests that he "fought against the Turks". The 11th battalion were. shortly after their arrival in France, deployed to Salonika.

Grandads service records do not appear to have survived the blitz.

I am hoping that the medal rolls may hopefully shed some light on his possible movements between RWF battalions and his transfer at some timeto the lab corps.

Is it possible, if someone is visiting Kew to look up his medal roll please ??

medal - VICTORY and BRITISH roll J/2/102B5 page 1528

15 star - roll J or G/2/2132 page 324

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much extra info you'll glean from Kew. You seem to have researched his basic history well. I'm presuming that you have access to the basic info on the 11th - ie Dudley Ward and the Battalion Diary.

Interesting why a Llanelli man joined the RWF! I would have thought that SWB would have been more natural.

Geraint

geraint

have been advised by other forum members to check for further details