Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte S/15506 Smith Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Hett65

Private S/15506 John William Smith born Bishop Wearmouth, Sunderland served for 7 years 11 months with the Cameron Highlanders and joined the police service on 2.12.1899. With serving for this length of time and say he was 17 when he joined up in about January 1888 I would say he was born about 1871. He was recalled to the colours on 27.12.1899 to serve in South Africa (believed with 2nd Battalion) and returned to police service on 9.7.1902. He was awarded the QSA & KSA medals, does anyone have details of which bars he would have been awarded for his QSA medal.

He then resigned from the police on 9.6.1915 (when he would have been about 44 years of age) to join HMF and was wounded in action being awarded a Silver War Badge. He has not been recalled to the colours in 1914 possibly due to his age, would he have been allowed to rejoin the QOCH (a fighting regiment) at the age of 44 years?, and can anyone assist me with a SWB number, there maybe some QOCH researchers on the forum who could help me out on this one.

John

Hi John,I`m a bit puzzled with the facts your giving,or it may just be me being daft.

S/15506 Pte John W Smith was in the 2nd Cameron Highlanders and was discharged 11/06/1917 and his SWB is on list G/455,now is this the same lad as you say was in the police and resigned on the 09/06/1915 ? Because S/15506 has the 14/15 star trio with date of entry to france of 16/03/1915, :wacko: I`m going to see if he has any records with an age on them. :thumbsup:

Gary

Gary

I am only going off his police record, however the clerks did make mistakes on dates which I have found on other files.

John

Hi John I`m sure a Cameron Highlanders expert will be along soon,but I`m still on the look out for records for your man.

all the best Gary

Gary

Thanks for taking the time to check him out.

John