Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st London Regiment (Ist Surrey Rifles)

joesam84

Hi,

I'm researching a soldier in the 21st LR and am trying to find out about where they were formed and served. The soldier in question is Rifleman John A. King. His service record didn't survive but his MIC shows he had 2 service numbers 4256 and 651677 ( Why would that be? ). He was also awarded the SWB. There is some family correspondence which shows that -

John went to France on 6.2.16 and was wounded on 24.9.16. He was sent back to England to recover and returned to France on 4.1.17.

He was wounded again on 12.6.17 and sent home to recover and didn't return to France. He was discharged from the Army on 12.6.18 because of his wounds.

I would appreciate any help in finding out more about the 21st London Regiment and specifically where they would have been on the dates when John was wounded.

Thanks,

Rick

he had 2 service numbers 4256 and 651677 ( Why would that be? ).

He was a Territorial soldier and, in 1917, the Territorial Force was renumbered.

There's a good article here...http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm that will explain all.

Regards

Steve

Rick,

The Naval and Military Press have a history of the 21st London Regiment here. This is for both the 1st and 2nd Battalions.

I have this book and it is a very good read, and it appears it is going cheap at the moment.

Cheers Andy.

Steve and Andy,

Thank you very much for your asistance, it's been a great help. I've ordered the book from the N and M press. One of John's possesions, which the family do not know how he got hold of is a Trench map with the following heading

FRANCE Edition 5b ( local

Trenches revised from information received from 1.5.18

Albert is in the extreme south

Auchonvillers is in the extreme north

Aucheux is the most westerly village

Courcellette is the most easterly villge

North of Albert is Aveluy Wood.

Thanks again,

Rick