Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommendation for Recognition Rejected

AndyR

I have a small embossed and type written note (card index size) to my grandfather which reads:

TENTH (IRISH) DIVISION

British Mediterranean Expiditionary Force

To Lieutenant J.H.Beverland, R.A.M.C.

32nd Field Ambulance

Your Commanding Officer has informed that have distinguished yourself by gallant conduct in the field. I have read his report with pleasure and have forwarded it to higher authority for recognition

Gallipoli

It is signed

B Mahon

Lieut-general

Commanding 10th (Irish) Division

There is nothing in the London Gazette related to this and so presumably the recommendation was rejected

Unfortunately there is no War Diary for his unit for this period in Gallipoli

Can anyone suggest if there is any way forward on this for me? Suspect the answer is no, but any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

AndyR

I don't think that's recognition rejected; it may be a Divisional Commander's certificate, or a note recognisiong (perhaps) a mention in dispatches. John Herd Beverland was awarded a Military Cross in the London Gazette of 1 Jan 1919 as 'Spec. Res. RAMC, attd. 165 Ind. Comb. F.A.' . He was released in May 1920 as a Captain, Granted the rank of Major. Not quite sure of his unit Indian? Independent ? Combined Field Ambulance?

His MID was 21.7 1917 pg 7455 . and MC 1.1.19 pg 56 .I put this in another identical thread before ?

MC

Thanks for the suggestions

StaffsYeoman - It is indeed a certificate from the divisional commander, but what do you mean by a Divisional Commander's Certificate?

The 165 Indian Combined Field Ambulance replaced the 32nd F Amb when the German offensive of March 1918 resulted in the F Amb men being called up into the infantry. They were replaced by Indian units but the officers from the 32nd F Amb were retained for the 165th ICFA. His MC was in the New Year honours and so doesn't not reflect a specific incident

Centurion - an MID is my guess too - but as not in London Gazette I still think probably rejected - does anyone know how the approval process worked?

27th Bn - yes the question is also on the Gallipoli thread - sorry for the duplication - wasn't sure which place was best

I think this certificate is different to the MID from 1917 which is from Milne's Salonica despatches and I think is related to a Struma valley action at Topolova

AndyR

Recognitions was not solely in terms of MIDs, or decorations, was he promoted?

Also recognition was not automatic or guarenteed, his name may have been noted, but n action taken.

Hi,

I think what you have is the 10th Division equivalent of a Divisional Card of Honour.

These varied from Division to Division some are quite simple and state, with almost the exact words from your letter, that the reciepient had been brought to the notice of the GOC for some act of gallantry.

In some divisions they were quite flash bearing the Divisional battle Patch and worked in gold letters etc.

There examples of the 34th Division cards of honour in Tyneside Irish and 31st Division in Durham Pals.

They are very collectable and much sought after.

regards

John

Sometimes there was just an entry made in the soldiers service record to that effect that he received the Commander's approbation, though I admit to having seen this more often for WW2 service than WW1.

Thanks for the further suggestions - here is scan of the "certificate" in case it helps

It is very simple - it is the reference to being forwarded to a higher authority for recognition that made me think it must be a recommendation for MID that was rejected at the higher level, but I suppose it could have led to a note on his service record, and may have contributed to his MC for meritorious service at the end of the war.

In response to the suggestion that he might have been promoted, I know that he didn't have an increase in rank until much later, though I also know he was made adjutant at about this time - though not sure this qualifies as a promotion

Thanks

AndyR