Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Baines

rksimpson

Hi all

I have a Victory medal to George Baines 353115 RS and have his MIC, but cant find his service records.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me more, does his number signify a territorial unit and when would he have joined up/ gone to France? Is there anything else I can find. Have tried Ancestry for other things including 1901 census but nothing definite.

thanks for your help

Robert

Robert,

If you look on the "Renumbering of the TF" Section on the web-site first page,the Number appears in the block allocated to the 9th RS.

I cannot confirm,however,this was Baines' Battalion.

George

Guest Rundberg

Robert,

I believe the suffix RS stands for "Army Service Corps Remount Specials". Some 70% of the service records were destroyed during WW2 as you may know, it likely that you man were among that percentage. I have checked National Archives as well and all they have is his MIC.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Robert

I have checked Robert Baines's MIC which states Royal Scots, and as George indicated his number belongs to the block allocated to the 9th RS , a TF Unit.

As the 6 digit number is the only one he has, he must have arrived in France after January,1917 when the numbers were first issued.

I don't how the TF were sourcing recruits by this time, the 2/9th and 3/9th were possibly running low on reserves by this time, possible that he was a conscript brought straight into the battalion.

John

Hi all

thanks for your replies, I appreciate it, gives me something more to go on with.

Any suggestions where he might be from - so I can pick him up in the census, or any other clues to find out more about him?

regards

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John

I have been doing a bit of digging on him - trying to find him in a census.

On Ancestry and Scotlands People he is not in the 1901, but in the 1891 I found a family of Baines with a George, but his surname is listed as Barnes. All the rest of the family is Baines. Confirming in SP they are listed as Barnes. The thing is they have their address as Langlaw Newbattle Edinburgh, so knowing your interest and tie with Newbattle, can you confirm anyway if it is the person I have the medal of?

thanks for your time

regards

Robert