Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dvr John Storrow, 55668, RFA

tomstorrow

Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can help me, as I've reached a bit of a dead-end in researching my grandfather's service in the RFA from 1915 to 1919. I had some great support a couple of years ago in tracing the final days of my great uncle (an MM holder who was also in the RFA and was killed during "the 100 days") and I'm hoping someone might be able to make some useful suggestions again.

My grandfather was John Storrow, from Whittingham near Preston. He was born in 1896 (he died in his bed in 1964) and enlisted in 1915. He was a farm boy and started out as a Driver reaching the heights of Lance Bombardier by 1918. His service number was 55668. I have a copy of his medal card but his service record didn't survive the Luftwaffe in 1939-45. His medal card shows that he disembarked in France on 5th Sept 1915 and my late father told me that he also served in Salonika, but I don't know his unit for certain, in order to trace more closely where he served.

I've found his Protection Certificate and Certificate of Identitiy, which shows that he was discharged at Heaton Park on 21.2.19 and indicates his unit at that time was the 23 Res (Reserve, I assume) Battery, RFA. What I don't know is whether this was his actual main unit or some form of "transit" unit for men being demobbed.

I've found from the Medal Roll that there were other RFA men with adjacent numbers who also disembarked in France on 5.9.15, and who (I assume) might have been in the same unit. They are Dvr Leo Bibby, 55665; Gnr Norman Charles Phillips, 55667; Dvr Richard Jackson, 55671; and Dvr George Leonard Titterington, 55672.

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that might assist my research?

I'd be very grateful for any assistance.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

A sift of the pages of the LLT for the Divisions which landed in France in Sept 1915 and then went on to Salonika has narrowed it down to two Divisions:

22 landed in the date range early to 9th Sept,moved on to Salonika in October 1915.

26 landed during the month and completed at the end,vague in date terms but it fits,maybe not as well as 22,but also went on to Salonika in Nov 1915.

http://www.1914-1918.net/22div.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/26div.htm

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to look that up for me - a great start for my research!

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom

I'm not sure if you can get any unit information from the 1914-15 Star original Medal Roll in WO329/2535 page 4283. Maybe someone here might know if units are shown on those Rolls.

Sotonmate

Thanks again for that!

If anyone does has any info on those 14-15 Star rolls then I'd love to hear.

The other thing I wondered was whether the allocation of the individual numbers would provide any clues to those who are much more expert than me in such things.

Finally, does anyone have any idea about that apparent reference to 23 Res Battery on his discharge paper from Heaton Park (which is in Manchester, so reasonably close to home near Preston).

I'm very grateful to Sotonmate and anyone else who can help me on this.

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom

I have a copy of the Medal Roll,send your e-mail by PM and I will post it for you.

No extra info on the Roll. A sift brought up some other names similarly numbered to add to those you posted here already, thye were all Killed in action,so the CWGC entry will show their unit. A search on them all might give some idea,but not necessarily a certain answer as some individuals may have been extracted to meet needs elsewhere on a random basis:

55665 L BIBBY Driver

55673 W HALSALL Driver

55677 A BAMBER Driver

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Many thanks for your help. Will PM my email shortly.

As an aside - quite a coincidence on those names. Jack Storrow was my paternal grandfather, and my maternal gandfather's name was Halsall (but not this one!).

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom

The three names I have mentioned above,all of whom died,have no links to each others units Bibby was with 100 Bde RFA in Salonika(Nov 1916),Halsall with 97 Bde RFA on the Somme (Jul 1916) and Bamber 311 Bde RFA,died of wounds Etaples (Jul 1917). It would be no surprise that every now and then a block of trained Drivers would be scattered to the four winds to replace casualties taken.

I have a problem with some of my digipics,it is probable that the one for John Storrow has deleted. As I say there is nothing more to learn from it,but a pity nonetheless.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks again. I'd just been checking CWGC myself and found the same info. I guess there could be a connection with Bibby, as 100 Bde in Salonika would tally with that brigade being part of 22 Div, the 1915 date and Jack having been in Salonika, but nothing completely conclusive of course!

Many thanks for your continued help.

Can anyone else help us by shedding any light on on the 23 Res Bty reference please?

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom

His date into theatre fits that of 100 Bde RFA and 22 Division into France in Sept 1915. Their War Diary for that 2 months until they shipped out of Marseilles to Salonika is under WO95/2166,and when they got to Salonika it was WO95/4845 from Nov 1915 to Apr 1919.

If all else fails it might be worth seeing if you can get to look at these Diaries to find if he is mentioned in order to confirm his presence.

In respect of 23 Reserve B I would think it a reasonable assumption that he was demobilised there and given his Protection Certificate. I have seen a few where demob has come from Reserve units of various arms.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks again! I'll note those diaries and see what I can do on that front.

I think that we've reached the best position and assumptions that we can at this stage, but I'll keep you posted by PM if I can discover/confirm anything more.

Many thanks - and enjoy the Easter break!

Best wishes,

Tom