Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howitzer Brigade RFA

pjjobson

This hs probably been asked before, and if so, can someone (Ron?) point me to the appropriate post?

Can anyone giove me the organisation, establishment etc of a) A Howitzer Brigade at the start of and finish of WW1 abd B) the same for a Howitzer Battery.

Many thanks

Phil

Phil: Can't help you with an appropriate post but the organization of an artillery brigade (including a How Brigade) can be found in Stand To! #31 (April 1931), pages 31-34. Regards, Dick Flory

Hello Phil

Regulars in 1914:

August 1914 Field Artillery (Howitzer) Brigade (3 batteries of 6 x 4.5" how)

HQ: Lt-Col cdg, Adjutant, Orderly Officer, Medical Officer, Vet Officer, Serjeant-Major, Armament Artificer, Trumpeter,

2 Corporals, 2 Bombardiers, 7 Gunners, 9 Drivers, 1 Clerk, 2 MO's Orderlies, 8 Batmen, Corporal RAMC, 3 Privates RAMC.

3 Batteries, each: Major, Captain, 3 Subalterns, BSM, BQMS, Farrier-Serjeant, 7 Serjeants, 4 Shoeing-Smiths (incl 1 Corporal), 2 Saddlers, 2 Fitters or Wheelers, 2 Trumpeters, 7 Corporals, 11 Bombardiers, 74 Gunners, 70 Drivers, 10 Batmen.

Amm Col: Captain, Subaltern, BSM, BQMS, Farrier-Serjeant, 4 Serjeants, 4 Shoeing-Smiths (incl 1 Corporal), 2 Saddlers, 2 Fitters or Wheelers, Trumpeter, 4 Corporals, 4 Bombardiers, 23 Gunners, 70 Drivers, 2 Batmen.

Tf Howitzer brigades had two four-gun batteries so were about 400 all ranks. New Armies were of similar size to Regulars, but had four four-gun batteries.

After 1916 there were no separate Howitzer Brigades. Most field brigades then had four six-gun batteries: theree of 18-poundres and one of howitzers.

January 1917 Field Artillery Brigade (3 batteries of 6 x 18 pdr, 1 battery of 6 x 4.5" how)

HQ: Lt-Col cdg, Adjutant, Orderly Officer, Medical Officer, Serjeant- Major, Fitter Staff-Serjeant, Armament Artificer, 4 Serjeants AVC, 2 Corporals, 2 Bombardiers, 6 Gunners, 10 Drivers, 1 Clerk, 2 MO's Orderlies, 1 Corporal & 4 Privates RAMC, 7 Batmen.

3 Batteries, each: Major, Captain, 3 Subalterns, BSM, BQMS, Farrier-Serjeant, 7 Serjeants, 4 Shoeing-Smiths (incl 1 Corporal), 2 Saddlers, 2 Fitters or Wheelers, 2 Trumpeters, 7 Corporals, 11 Bombardiers, 75 Gunners, 71 Drivers, 10 Batmen.

1 Battery: Major, Captain, 3 Subalterns, BSM, BQMS, Farrier-Serjeant, 7 Serjeants, 4 Shoeing-Smiths (incl 1 Corporal), 2 Saddlers, 2 Fitters or Wheelers, 2 Trumpeters, 7 Corporals, 11 Bombardiers, 75 Gunners, 71 Drivers, 10 Batmen.

There were only minor changes thereafter.

Because there was originally a shortage of the 4.5" howitzers, you often find fewer guns per battery, or even an absence of howitzers altogether, in divisional artilleries, esp[ecially in those divisions cobbled together from Regulars at the end of 1914.

Ron

(who wrote the article Dick has mentioned, though not in 1931! I think it was in the April 1989 Stand To)

Dick/Ron

Many thanks for the repliues, I really must get around to joining the Western Front Association. It appears I am missing some excellent articles.

Phil

Hello Phil

You will be very welcome!

Stand To! issues 30 to 37 contain a series of articles I wrote on the make-up of various types of unit, mostly those within divisions. "What is an artillery brigade?" appeared in issue 31 and "What is a heavy battery?" in issue 35. They were later consolidated into a separatev publication, WFA Military Fact Sheet No. 7, which should also be avaiolable through the WFA.

Ron

Phil

As well as the Howitzer Batteries each Brigade also had it's own Brigade Ammunition Column.

The establishments I have are from the Field Service Pocket Book (Amended 1916) - Regular Army

4.5" Howitzer Brigade 22 Officers 733 OR's - 18 Guns

4.5 Howitzer Battery 5 Officers 192 OR's - 6 Guns

4.5" Howitzer BAC 2 Officers 119 OR's

In May 1916 the Divisional Artillery on the Western Front was re-organised. The Howitzer Brigades were re-distributed so Brigades became 3 Batteries of 18 pounders and 1 Battery of 4.5" Howitzers.

As far as the Territorials were concerned, this re-organisation saw some Howitzer Brigades briefly increased from 2 to 3 Howitzer Batteries, and then re-distributed. In some cases there were not enough Howitzers to go around, so the Divisional Artillery became 3 Gun / Howitzer Brigades (3 Batteries Guns / 1 Battery Howitzer) and 1 Gun only Brigade (3 Gun Batteries).

The Gun / Howitzer Brigades adopted the new numbering scheme, and the Batteries became A,B,C equipped with 18 pounder Guns and D (Howitzer) Battery.

As part of this re-organisation the Brigade Ammunition Columns disappeared.

I believe therefore that beyond May 1916 there were no 4.5" Howitzer Brigades on the Western Front.

Ian

Ian

Thnaks for the additional information, e-mail sent to you seperately.

Ron

Thanks for the details, I'll get on that straight away after pay day!

Regards

Phil